PDA

View Full Version : JUST GRADUATED 23MAY14 900 DIV. ASK ME ANYTHING

shamablama
06-04-2014, 02:03 PM
I was in a 900 division, I am an AC and I am currently in Pensacola, classing up for A-School tomorrow. I know before I left for boot camp I was on this site every day asking questions, so literally ask me anything and I will try my best to help!

BUT before a million Glee kids ask how the 900 divisions work... there are 3 different types of performing divisions. There's the triple threat division, which does the choir, band, and drill team. Then there's the state flag division (that's what I was in), they do state flags, color guard, and drum line. The last one is the staff division, it's always an all male division and they are in charge of catching people who pass out, manning the door ways and bleachers, and commanding the pass in review ceremony. The type of 900 division available all depends on what week you arrive. For example, I got there March 25th and was put in state flags. There was no prior skill really needed for this dovision, btw, only drummers and colorguard. The week after I got there, they were forming the triple threat division, which you have to try out for. And the week after that they formed the staff division. All the 900 divisions stay in their own barracks separated from all the other divisions. Our training schedule is way different because starting in week 5 you perform at every graduation including your own. And you go to rehearsal 4 times a week.

Everyone at RTC will say the 900 divisions get treated differently and they get spoiled, and in my experience that was true.

Mackin1231
06-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Hey welcome back! I can't wait til you start A school so I can bombard you with questions. The only other AC I've met leaves 2w before me. So she won't be any help. How long do you think it'll be until you class up?

Jamee
06-04-2014, 08:39 PM
What if you want to audition for the triple threat 900 div and they're not yet forming it or they've already formed it?? I'm a singer and I know I would be more suited for that division. Is it just a matter of chance or can I request to audition??

Jyoungs42433
06-05-2014, 12:11 AM
First Off Gratz and welcome back
Second can you go over generally what went on throughout boot on a summary type deal, what would you rate it on a scale of 1-10 as far as being difficult ( rate without the initial culture shock for people with low to no discipline )
how lenient were they with liberties etc.

Corpsman Hopkin
06-05-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm gonna try my hardest now to join the 900 division :rofl:

marshallcraw_14
06-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Im an AC and I leave in like 19 days... is there a long wait time to class up, or did you get lucky and get to p-cola at the right time?

Mackin1231
06-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Im an AC and I leave in like 19 days... is there a long wait time to class up, or did you get lucky and get to p-cola at the right time?

You go to the recruiting station on the eastway location? I live in Charlotte and am going AC too.

marshallcraw_14
06-05-2014, 05:54 PM
You go to the recruiting station on the eastway location? I live in Charlotte and am going AC too.

No I live in north charlotte, so i go to the concord station... they are both about the same distance from me

Jyoungs42433
06-05-2014, 05:57 PM
No I live in north charlotte, so i go to the concord station... they are both about the same distance from me

The one by the Kannapolis walmart?

marshallcraw_14
06-05-2014, 07:43 PM
The one by the Kannapolis walmart?

Yep... thats the one

Jyoungs42433
06-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Yep... thats the one

Haha thats mine as well

OP as well as my first question, do you recall anyone getting promoted to E-3 from E2 while you were there?
and when you went as far as knowing ships and aircraft what all did you need to know

HM_Duke
06-05-2014, 11:29 PM

I met NC1 Coleman...he's a ....character

Mackin1231
06-06-2014, 07:23 AM
I met NC1 Coleman...he's a ....character

He is. I like him but I'm from ny so he's a normal Brooklyn guy in my eyes. A lot of ppl at our spot is intimidated by him.

blitz023
06-06-2014, 12:09 PM
What kind of skills do drummers need? I'm an experience band drummer but no experience in drumlines etc...

daaaniiieee
06-09-2014, 03:31 PM
I think we came out of the same recruit office, The USS Denbigh?

Welcome back :)

shamablama
06-20-2014, 07:49 PM
What if you want to audition for the triple threat 900 div and they're not yet forming it or they've already formed it?? I'm a singer and I know I would be more suited for that division. Is it just a matter of chance or can I request to audition??

You can only try out for what they are forming that week. You don't get a choice on what type of 900 division you want, and depending on what time of the day you show up you may not even get offered it because that's one of the first divisions they form.

shamablama
06-20-2014, 07:51 PM
First Off Gratz and welcome back
Second can you go over generally what went on throughout boot on a summary type deal, what would you rate it on a scale of 1-10 as far as being difficult ( rate without the initial culture shock for people with low to no discipline )
how lenient were they with liberties etc.

I thought boot camp was really easy, the hardest part for me was tolerating female drama from 100 other girls at one time lol.

shamablama
06-20-2014, 07:52 PM

I classed up in a week, I have actually been in school for almost 3 weeks now. I heard later in the summer the wait gets longer though.

shamablama
06-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Haha thats mine as well

OP as well as my first question, do you recall anyone getting promoted to E-3 from E2 while you were there?
and when you went as far as knowing ships and aircraft what all did you need to know

In my division no one got promoted from e2 to e3. They wanted to promote the e1s first. But its possible. And you should know everything they teach you in dep. But the dep test at boot camp wont promote you unless you are an e1. So if you are e2 than it doesnt apply to you.

shamablama
06-20-2014, 07:54 PM
I think we came out of the same recruit office, The USS Denbigh?

Welcome back :)

Yes! When do you leave for boot camp?

shamablama
06-20-2014, 07:54 PM
What kind of skills do drummers need? I'm an experience band drummer but no experience in drumlines etc...

They really dont need any experience at all cause they teach you everything lol.

shamablama
06-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Hey welcome back! I can't wait til you start A school so I can bombard you with questions. The only other AC I've met leaves 2w before me. So she won't be any help. How long do you think it'll be until you class up?

Message me and i will tell you anything! I started school a couple weeks ago.

mike
06-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Is the food at boot camp good? My recruiter says it is, but I don't know if I believe that...

LT Guppy
06-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Is the food at boot camp good? My recruiter says it is, but I don't know if I believe that...

The best food you'll have in the navy is at training commands.

Mackin1231
06-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Message me and i will tell you anything! I started school a couple weeks ago.

OK Thanks. I PMed you

Haasino
06-22-2014, 08:31 AM

My LCPO summed it up in the most un-PC yet accurate way I've heard to-date... "It's prison food served by retards". That is to say, it's pre-made food delivered by the same contractor who provides food for the Illinois Department of Corrections... and it's reheated and served by Goodwill employees with physical or mental disabilities.

Fortunately, by P-2 day, you're not gonna care and it's gonna be the best food you've ever eaten, lol.

Compared to a ship, yes... but the food here at NAS Jacksonville is excellent compared to RTC or NATTC in Pensacola. My friends up at NAS Whidbey Island also say great things about the food the CS' prepare up there.

LT Guppy
06-22-2014, 09:39 AM
My LCPO summed it up in the most un-PC yet accurate way I've heard to-date... "It's prison food served by retards". That is to say, it's pre-made food delivered by the same contractor who provides food for the Illinois Department of Corrections... and it's reheated and served by Goodwill employees with physical or mental disabilities.

Fortunately, by P-2 day, you're not gonna care and it's gonna be the best food you've ever eaten, lol.

Compared to a ship, yes... but the food here at NAS Jacksonville is excellent compared to RTC or NATTC in Pensacola. My friends up at NAS Whidbey Island also say great things about the food the CS' prepare up there.

Stay away from Norfolk, the galley food here is not good.
Rhode Island food was great.

daaaniiieee
06-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Yes! When do you leave for boot camp?

July 22nd!

mike
06-22-2014, 03:08 PM

I heard they have a salad bar and lobster on Friday night at RTC........is that way off?

Haasino
06-22-2014, 03:38 PM
I heard they have a salad bar and lobster on Friday night at RTC........is that way off?

Lobster? No. But there is a basic salad bar that I highly encourage utilizing for lunch and dinner.

mike
06-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Lobster? No. But there is a basic salad bar that I highly encourage utilizing for lunch and dinner.

Thanks man, anyone have any idea what the options are for breakfast? And what about snacks during the day and dessert?

LT Guppy
06-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks man, anyone have any idea what the options are for breakfast? And what about snacks during the day and dessert?

Snacking throughout the day is a habit you want to break before you ship.

jzhaun
06-22-2014, 08:04 PM

Breakfast had stuff like pancakes, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, biscuit and gravy etc, also cereal/oatmeal and lots of fruits and yogurt.

No snacks.

Dessert'll depend on the day (sometimes more fruit or yogurt, sometimes cookies, ice cream only on sundays, there was pie for Christmas), but your RDCs may yell at you for eating it. In my div the people who had passed a PFA were given free rein, anyone else would be seriously guilt tripped if they asked for dessert.

mike
06-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys, I still think SEAL candidates should get more snacks and exercise but whatever....they think losing mass and fitness is a good idea.

jzhaun
06-23-2014, 05:22 PM
While I agree that the meal system at bootcamp is overall somewhat detrimental to one's health, at the same time:

a) It's only 2 months for most people. (I personally had the privilege of being there for 4.)
b) Bootcamp's primary goal is not to make you as fit as possible. Its primary goal is to make you a sailor, which requires some discipline, team spirit, and sacrifices.

ESTheo
06-23-2014, 05:37 PM
If you have a root canal going in and don't tell them about it, will you be kicked out?

shamablama
06-25-2014, 07:45 PM
If you have a root canal going in and don't tell them about it, will you be kicked out?

It's possible. You might want to tell them because you're gonna get checked out by dental during p-days and they will find out about it either way.

shamablama
06-25-2014, 07:48 PM

I LOVED boot camp food. I actually miss it sometimes. There definitely was no lobster, but they did serve fish and veal every now and then. Breakfast was awesome. You can get cereal at all 3 meals if you want, too. The salad bar was good too. And the desserts were delicious!

LT Guppy
06-25-2014, 08:06 PM

I take it back... I had lunch at Walter Reed today... :eat: totally blows training command food out of the water.

Heads
06-26-2014, 03:58 PM
How did haircuts and grooming go while in basic and beyond? I like to keep my hair a very short buzzed at all times. Is it possible to get haircuts as often as you like?

Haasino
06-26-2014, 05:46 PM
How did haircuts and grooming go while in basic and beyond? I like to keep my hair a very short buzzed at all times. Is it possible to get haircuts as often as you like?

You'll get 2 or 3 while you're at RTC... the 1st one during P-Days is the only one where they really buzz your head. During A School and onward, you'll be expected to maintain your hair within regulations... sometimes this is strict, and sometimes it's lax. There are barber shops on every base though, and you're free to get your hair cut as often as you wish.

mike
06-27-2014, 10:41 AM
I LOVED boot camp food. I actually miss it sometimes. There definitely was no lobster, but they did serve fish and veal every now and then. Breakfast was awesome. You can get cereal at all 3 meals if you want, too. The salad bar was good too. And the desserts were delicious!

Nice, now I'm excited for bootcamp...kinda. It will be nice to have ok food and a few grand in the bank at the end.

Btw, how much do they deduct from your paychecks during bootcamp? (rough estimate) I'm going in as e3 so I'm hoping to have 2 grand in the bank at the end of the 2 months.

howironnick
06-27-2014, 12:31 PM
They really dont need any experience at all cause they teach you everything lol.

If you don't need experience, then how does the auditioning process go? Like if I were to try out with no prior experience, do they have you perform certain things like on drums or what?

llamayamaa
06-28-2014, 03:24 PM
If you don't need experience, then how does the auditioning process go? Like if I were to try out with no prior experience, do they have you perform certain things like on drums or what?

You'll meet the MUC in charge of the recruit band during the first couple of weeks. He will ask what experience everyone has on various instruments and assign responsibilities accordingly. For the first few weeks of bootcamp, you'll go every Saturday to the drill hall to practice said assignment. Usually the person with the most experience in your section will be in charge of teaching everyone else. The last few weeks, you'll go 3 times to rehearse and once to perform in the recruit band during the PIR.

I think the State Flags are responsible for the drumline performance at the beginning of PIR (quads, snare, bass, cymbals) as well as providing the cadence for divisions marching in (standard 6/8 cadence with snare, bass, and cymbal). The Triple Threat will provide the recruit band, which usually includes snare, bass, and cymbal.

shamablama
06-29-2014, 06:22 PM

I was referring to the staff 900 divisions. The triple threat divions you have to try out for, those are the divisions with the choir and band. Staff divisions just man the doors and bleachers and catch people who faint. They do a couple performing things but nothing you actually have to try out for. The division i was in was the state flags and we literally got chosen for our asvab scores.

shamablama
06-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Nice, now I'm excited for bootcamp...kinda. It will be nice to have ok food and a few grand in the bank at the end.

Btw, how much do they deduct from your paychecks during bootcamp? (rough estimate) I'm going in as e3 so I'm hoping to have 2 grand in the bank at the end of the 2 months.

I dont think I can answer this too accurately, I am married so I had BAH and separation pay coming in. But most of the e1s and e2s in my division even had about $2k in their account by the end of boot camp. But that also depends on you and if you have bills coming out of your account or not.

Sberrios96
07-04-2014, 07:10 AM
i was wondering about the peanut butter shot its honestly the only thing ive been worried about. im allergic to penicillin but i dont remember telling meps that i faintly remember telling my recruiter that i was before going up to meps. so my question is do they ask who is allergic to penicillin while they administer the shots? i meet with my recruiter wednesday so obviously im going to check with him although i already called him and he says he thinks that its on my medical records

lilyputian
07-04-2014, 06:34 PM
I thought boot camp was really easy, the hardest part for me was tolerating female drama from 100 other girls at one time lol.

Can you be more specific about female drama? I mean, I can use my imagination, but I have limited experience living with other women in close quarters, and was never bullied, so I can literally only imagine . . .