PDA

View Full Version : Best Naval Bases

LouieBagels
05-11-2014, 08:31 AM
my rate right now is a DCman, Damage Controlman in the navy, to sum it up if you dont know much about it, basically fire prevention aboard navy vessels. With that being said, its pretty obvious i will most likely be on a ship for most of my navy career.

so id like to hear about some cool ships i could possibly get a chance to work on, but id also like places that are nice to live as well. i am by no means a high maintenance guy, but i enjoy going out and being surrounded by activities to do, especially when i get off work, or if it is a weekend i would enjoy some time to go and have fun, with plenty of things to do each day.

i was thinking places in Norfolk, VA or Washington, Texas, Rhode Island, Atlanta.

overseas i was thinking italy, japan, or greece.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

By the way. im a single man. no children, im 20, and this will be my first enlistment.

LT Guppy
05-11-2014, 08:52 AM
There are not ships in Texas, Rhode Island, Atlanta, or Greece.

As far as ships, it really depends on what you're interested in. CRU/DES tends to be a bit faster paced. On amphibs you'll be doing more ballasting (lowering and raising the ship in the water) and flight quarters (you'll also work the flight deck on CRU/DES).

On the Destroyers and LPDs, it will be easier to have access to replacement parts (because the ships are still in production), whereas on the older Amphibs, you have to be more creative to figure out solutions to problems.

Haasino
05-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Ideal location is also going to depend on what you find interesting and where you want to be... like the beach and tropical weather? Hawaii or Florida. Like the beach and no humidity? San Diego. Like more of a forest and mountainous region? Washington. A lot of people also talk about East Coast vs. West Coast Navy... where places like Norfolk tend to be more strict and by-the-books, and San Diego tends to be a bit more relaxed.