PDA

View Full Version : Getting stationed on Shore as AECF

Mazing
01-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Hey everyone, I am a AECF rate leaving on april 10th for bootcamp. I've been reading through the forums learning a lot about my rate and bootcamp but one thing I'm still curious about is how can I get stationed on shore. I really really don't want to get stationed on a ship because I rather get BAH and have my own home. I'm not married and I'm going in as an E3 since I have 50 college credits. Anyways all I want is to get stationed on shore and is there anyway I can increase my chances?

Also my mother is disabled and someone told me I could put her as a dependent, but I don't know what that would do or how it would effect me.

LT Guppy
01-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Umm... If you don't want to be on a ship, why did you join the Navy?

It is possible to get patents listed as dependents, but it is not an easy process.

LT Guppy
01-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Umm... If you don't want to be on a ship, why did you join the Navy?

It is possible to get patents listed as dependents, but it is not an easy process.

kforbs126
01-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Hey everyone, I am a AECF rate leaving on april 10th for bootcamp. I've been reading through the forums learning a lot about my rate and bootcamp but one thing I'm still curious about is how can I get stationed on shore. I really really don't want to get stationed on a ship because I rather get BAH and have my own home. I'm not married and I'm going in as an E3 since I have 50 college credits. Anyways all I want is to get stationed on shore and is there anyway I can increase my chances?

Also my mother is disabled and someone told me I could put her as a dependent, but I don't know what that would do or how it would effect me.

You have practically no chance of getting shore duty. Some ETs get shore duty but its rare. FC's won't. Plus you won't get BAH until your E5. Shore or sea. I'm not sure why you'd join the navy if you don't want to be on a ship.

calie89
01-23-2014, 03:40 PM
There are some FCs who get shore duty straight from A school. They get shore duty to one of the training commands for FCs, and complete C school during the 2 years they are on shore duty, then spend the rest of their time in maintenance (at least thats what they do here in Dahlgren)

However, just last week it was put out at our command that some of the people who got those shore duty orders would be sent to a ship after they completed school anyways.

The whole getting shore duty from A school (for FCs) started about a year ago, and it comes and goes, just depends on needs of the navy. It may very well be gone by the time you comp A school.

And as said before, BAH before E5 won't happen whether ship or shore (unless you have a dependent)

LT Guppy
01-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Also, you do understand that sea duty doesn't mean that you are at sea the entire 3-5 years, right?

Atom_breaker
01-24-2014, 07:35 AM
I'm glad you mention that Guppy, what are some of the other things you do during sea duty? I would love an answer from Prop but he hasn't been on in a while..

LT Guppy
01-24-2014, 02:22 PM
I mean, you'll be assigned to a ship, but they are in port for months at a time. In port, you'll be doing maintenance, training, preparing for inspections, and inspections.
Each ship had a life cycle (roughly two years long depending on the type of ship) where you're doing maintenance/upgrades, then inspections to qualify for deployment, work ups preparing for deployment, and then finally deployment.
While a ship is in homeport, it will get underway (go to sea) periodically for a couple weeks at a time.

LT Guppy
01-24-2014, 02:23 PM
I mean, you'll be assigned to a ship, but they are in port for months at a time. In port, you'll be doing maintenance, training, preparing for inspections, and inspections.
Each ship had a life cycle (roughly two years long depending on the type of ship) where you're doing maintenance/upgrades, then inspections to qualify for deployment, work ups preparing for deployment, and then finally deployment.
While a ship is in homeport, it will get underway (go to sea) periodically for a couple weeks at a time.

bellhead
02-10-2014, 06:04 AM
In my ET class we had 81 sets of orders for us, 22 where for shore duty with 10 for conus and 12 overseas, 6 of these where for embassy duty, 2 in London. We got to pick according to your grade in school, I picked 9th overall and went to Spain for shore duty. We had 7 FFG pipeline school orders which were 38 weeks at that time, those went quick ET's love school. Carriers went last.

Also if you can get it take a precomm.

Tavak
02-18-2014, 09:41 PM
@ OP-> You're leaving the day after me! And we have the same rate. Where are you leaving from? I'm out of Atlanta.

Everyone else pretty much covered it. My next door neighbor happens to be a retired Master Chief and he said this is a sea going program.

bronxCTM
02-21-2014, 01:53 AM
And as said before, BAH before E5 won't happen whether ship or shore (unless you have a dependent)

Or an E4 over 4.

kforbs126
02-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Or an E4 over 4.

E4 over 4 went away.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2012/NAV12072.txt