PDA

View Full Version : AO to aircrew

SeanGl91
12-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Im going to bootcamp in Jan as a AO. I wanted to know how do I go joining the aircrew program? Is it before or after bootcamp?

Haasino
12-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Im going to bootcamp in Jan as a AO. I wanted to know how do I go joining the aircrew program? Is it before or after bootcamp?

In-flight Ordinance positions were absorbed by In-Flight Technicians (AWV rating) over a decade ago, and all Aircrew duties were further merged into a series of 5 AW subratings back in Fiscal Year 2009. Any non-AW rates holding an Aircrew duty had to force-convert to AWF/AWV or lose their flying status. Unfortunately, the only way to become an Aircrewman now would be to drop your AO contract and sign a 6yr contract with ATF/AIRC as the program/rating... or become a rated Aviation Ordinanceman and attempt to cross-rate into Aircrew after a minimum of 2 years.

SeanGl91
12-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Ok thanks for the reply, because i keep hearing so many different thingz. Is cross rating easy to do because my recruiter gives me impression its easy but i dont really believe him

Haasino
12-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Ok thanks for the reply, because i keep hearing so many different thingz. Is cross rating easy to do because my recruiter gives me impression its easy but i dont really believe him

No problem... between the rating merger in '08 and intentional misinformation and half-truths from recruiters, it can be confusing. As far as cross-rating into Aircrew... ehhhhh... I have never seen anyone below an E-5 with `8 years of service come through the training pipeline here. Does that mean it's impossible? No...