PDA

View Full Version : Navy Diver

Iamchriswest
07-26-2013, 03:04 PM
So I'm in dep right now but im not looking to become a diver yet. I would like to become one maybe after 2 years or if i re enlist after my 4 year contract. Can anyone give me some info if thats possible? And how hard is dive school? Any inside info on ND is appreciated.

camfurr
07-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Your best bet is to get a contract out of DEP. That will provide you with the a guaranteed shot at the program. Yes, the program is hard, both academically and physically. But the reward you get from it in the end is so worth the fight.

Iamchriswest
07-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Im not physically ready to take on such a challenge. And if i fail i dont want to end up in "the needs of the navy" so i would definetly want to wait to get use to being physically active again and just being use to the navy.

FutureND
07-26-2013, 07:02 PM
I second what was said, the only way to guarantee a shot at diver is to get a contract in DEP. It's a tough program. We started dive prep with 21, 8 graduated today and are heading to Panama City this weekend. If you do get to dive prep/school and don't make it you will get to reclass. You will be given a list of jobs and get to choose one, you will not just be sent somewhere. They will have you go on a Monday morning when all the new jobs are released. When I went I had about 15 different jobs to choose from.

Iamchriswest
07-26-2013, 10:19 PM
I second what was said, the only way to guarantee a shot at diver is to get a contract in DEP. It's a tough program. We started dive prep with 21, 8 graduated today and are heading to Panama City this weekend. If you do get to dive prep/school and don't make it you will get to reclass. You will be given a list of jobs and get to choose one, you will not just be sent somewhere. They will have you go on a Monday morning when all the new jobs are released. When I went I had about 15 different jobs to choose from.

I would really like to get a contract but i know im not ready to take on such a challenge. I can swim alright and stuff but im not ready for dive school. Thats why i would like to try after ive been in the navy for a while and im in a heck of a better shape than i am now.

camfurr
07-27-2013, 08:46 AM
I would really like to get a contract but i know im not ready to take on such a challenge. I can swim alright and stuff but im not ready for dive school. Thats why i would like to try after ive been in the navy for a while and im in a heck of a better shape than i am now.

You gotta start somewhere man. Start getting in shape now. I would be patient with it as well. Try to get a contract while you're in DEP, and don't leave until you get one. After I got my dive contract, I had to wait an additional 6 months to ship out. Now, I'm glad I waited. If you want it bad enough, you'll do anything to get there

Romoore93
07-27-2013, 04:55 PM
What is the academic side part like?

warehimer33
07-27-2013, 06:37 PM
NAVY DIVER.

bcorey
09-26-2013, 09:06 PM
What did you guys do in Prep that made so many drop out?

flodad
10-09-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm not a Navy man but I'd think a better question would be "What didnt the candidates do to be better prepared before they got there ? A word of advise.... If you think you are physically prepared, train hard and long for a couple weeks ... then on your 14th day, right before you are totally exhaused and beat down and ready to collapse on your bed, then do a PST and see what your scores are....

Mparker181
10-09-2013, 10:21 PM
You gotta start somewhere man. Start getting in shape now. I would be patient with it as well. Try to get a contract while you're in DEP, and don't leave until you get one. After I got my dive contract, I had to wait an additional 6 months to ship out. Now, I'm glad I waited. If you want it bad enough, you'll do anything to get there

hooyah to that! :rockon:

frosty1823
08-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Good morning... have a question... my son is currently in Diver prep school in Great Lakes, IL... during the training, he was sent to medical and diagnosed with exercise induced asthma & given 21 days of light duty... so he can't continue with the training or graduate with other guys he had started...
today, he is scheduled to do some stress tests... after that, he will speak with his master chief about what will happen...

what would be the worst case? i am at home/work, worrying about his future in the Navy...& i am sure my son is too...

kforbs126
08-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Good morning... have a question... my son is currently in Diver prep school in Great Lakes, IL... during the training, he was sent to medical and diagnosed with exercise induced asthma & given 21 days of light duty... so he can't continue with the training or graduate with other guys he had started...
today, he is scheduled to do some stress tests... after that, he will speak with his master chief about what will happen...

what would be the worst case? i am at home/work, worrying about his future in the Navy...& i am sure my son is too...

Worst case he gets medically separated. Most likely he'll go undes or get to re-rate.

frosty1823
08-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Worst case he gets medically separated. Most likely he'll go undes or get to re-rate.

he's got the result from the medical & found out that he has pneumonia... so 5 days to take antibiotics and go back to see if it's all cleared up. if it has and all looks good, he will be rolled back to another class (we don't know for sure when as 800 divisons not graduating every friday...)
if for some reason, they decided to take him off from Diver training, he will be reclassed & will have to find another rating...

i am a bit concerned about the time they will hold him up there to roll him back... my son mentioned that it could take up to 4 to 5 months for him to be rolled back... what will they do with him until that time?

FutureND
08-14-2014, 10:00 PM
It shouldn't take that long for another class to start. When I was in dive prep we had two dive classes going at a time.