PDA

View Full Version : GSE Rating in the Navy

Ironcross
07-05-2013, 10:40 AM
What is a day in the life of someone who does that job? What are the employment prospects after leaving the navy as a GSE? I have already read the job description. I want some personal insight. Thanks.

BubbaGumps64
11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
I've been wondering about the same thing. When do/did you ship out to boot camp?

Drearyn
12-10-2013, 09:36 PM
any one have any info on this? i would love to hear about this rate before i ship out.

jzhaun
12-10-2013, 10:31 PM
One of my buddies from bootcamp is a GSM, but I don't know very much about what she's been up to. I know she's on a destroyer based out of Norfolk but deploys a lot (so she's often unreachable), wears her coveralls all the time, and got frocked to 3rd class right around our 1 year anniversary.

BubbaGumps64
12-11-2013, 06:37 PM
any one have any info on this? i would love to hear about this rate before i ship out.

Are you going as GSM or GSE?

Drearyn
12-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Im going as a GSE... i have the paper from MEPs describing the Job and i tried googling but it pretty much says the same as the paper.

BubbaGumps64
12-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Im going as a GSE... i have the paper from MEPs describing the Job and i tried googling but it pretty much says the same as the paper.

Okay. I'm going in as GSM. When do you ship out?

BubbaGumps64
12-11-2013, 10:14 PM
I know that this is a GSE thread but I posted in it because if figured GSM and GSE were a little bit similar.

Drearyn
12-12-2013, 09:52 AM
I know that this is a GSE thread but I posted in it because if figured GSM and GSE were a little bit similar.
I leave January 7

BubbaGumps64
12-12-2013, 12:22 PM
I leave January 7

Okay. I leave in March. Maybe I'll see you around at a school in great lakes

savphoto
12-15-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm an EM, and work on general electricity but I have an idea as to what GSE's do. You support the work of GSM's. GSE/M's primary work is to maintain the gas turbine engines of the ship. There is always work to be done and being an engineer, you are going to be working long hours. Expect to come in earlier than topsiders and leave later as well on some days. GSE's work is easier than GSM, a lot easier. While GSM's work on the mechanical side to the engines, GSE's are there to maintain electrical power to the equipment that runs the engines. Such as pumps, solenoids, switches, etc, which is a lot easier to deal with than the mechanical side. Whatever the GSM's are up to, you are in support of that, especially when it comes to big inspections such as LOA, TMI, Insurv, etc. In preparations for those inspections, be prepared to have days such as 6am-7pm. GSE's also stand EPCC watch, which is controlling the generators on board the ship. It is a high qualification but must be done. Other than that, I'd say GSE is one of the better engineering rates in the Navy.