PDA

View Full Version : BSEET Degree and pursuing MSEE

Kelvinli
05-29-2013, 07:38 PM
So with thecredits from schooling, I can get a BS for electronic engineering tech from the list of colleges but i want to get a true engineering degree so after the BSEET I want to go for a MSEE but is that possible while im in the Navy or do I have to wait till I;m out and go to a university for that?

kforbs126
05-29-2013, 07:52 PM
So with thecredits from schooling, I can get a BS for electronic engineering tech from the list of colleges but i want to get a true engineering degree so after the BSEET I want to go for a MSEE but is that possible while im in the Navy or do I have to wait till I;m out and go to a university for that?

Very unlikely you will have the time to get it within your first enlistment.

Kelvinli
05-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Very unlikely you will have the time to get it within your first enlistment.
Well haha assuming that Im in much longer than just one enlistment:)

Kelvinli
05-29-2013, 08:29 PM
well are there colleges while in the navy that I can get a MSEE for electronics?

LT Guppy
05-29-2013, 08:34 PM
well are there colleges while in the navy that I can get a MSEE for electronics?

You can get some credits for A-school and various other training.
But if you actually want to work toward a degree, it's unlikely you will have time the first couple years ago.
If you use TA (usually no sooner than year 2 or 3), you can go to just about any accredited college.

Kelvinli
05-29-2013, 08:37 PM
yeah I can get a BSEET but I want to go for a MSEE as im putting many years in the Navy.

kforbs126
05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
yeah I can get a BSEET but I want to go for a MSEE as im putting many years in the Navy.

You most likely will not be able to do it while in the Navy. You can't go to school full-time so that makes it difficult.

Kelvinli
05-29-2013, 09:44 PM
what degrees do you have kforbs? well in that case would my best bet be to get the MSEE out of the Navy?

Kelvinli
05-29-2013, 09:56 PM
oh and I also have excelsior university as one of my tops for BS cause their BSEET is ABET accredited so it will be a strongerprogram degree in the eyes of potential graduate programs for MSEE

kforbs126
05-30-2013, 09:20 AM
what degrees do you have kforbs? well in that case would my best bet be to get the MSEE out of the Navy?

I have my BSAS in Computer Info Systems from Ohio St before the navy and my MS in Cyber Security that I got while in the Navy. My advise to you is to take a class each semester when you can using TA.

Kelvinli
05-30-2013, 12:18 PM
That sounds good so that would be towards a BSET or BSEET from one of the colleges rt?

Kelvinli
05-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Oh and how many credits would I get out of A and C school? I heard its like only 19 for ET and 14 for FC. That would mean I would still need 100 or so credits for the BSET or BSEET

Kelvinli
05-30-2013, 08:13 PM
also for the degree, it requires some physical labs that can't be done online, at least 2 for excelsior. Would my FC or ET credits cover that?

LT Guppy
05-30-2013, 08:19 PM
The college credits you can get in A school are not intended to replace a college degree program, they supplement it.

Kelvinli
05-30-2013, 08:23 PM
so what about the hands on lab stuff required?

LT Guppy
05-30-2013, 08:32 PM
so what about the hands on lab stuff required?

I'm not an ET or FC so don't know the specifics, but it seems doubtful.

Kelvinli
05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Gosh they are really making it hard for a Navy guy to get even an engineering tech degree! Unless I can somehow go to a campus and finish the requirements for labs.

kforbs126
05-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Gosh they are really making it hard for a Navy guy to get even an engineering tech degree! Unless I can somehow go to a campus and finish the requirements for labs.

Well the Navy is #1 when you join. They don't care about you finishing your degree.

LT Guppy
05-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Well the Navy is #1 when you join. They don't care about you finishing your degree.

This.

They give you what you need to have a successful 20+ year career. Anything beyond that is on you.

Kelvinli
05-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Of course I will do all I can to try and get a degree like that, as I know that means more time ad effort for studying and classes.

Kelvinli
05-31-2013, 03:54 PM
For the list of degrees offered to navy, the colleges don't have a BSET for electrical engineering tech that is ABET accredited. Am a right to say that I can still apply for it? That would mean SAT and hs transcript? The one that is listed for navy is only a general engineering tech which is not ABET, which would not count towards anything later on to get an engineering degree.

LT Guppy
05-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Where are you looking?

Kelvinli
05-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Old Dominion and Excelsior are the only ones that offer a BSET for electrical engineering tech. And they are not listed under the the degrees ETS or FCs can get. Which is odd because I'm sure that I can still get it, just that I would have less credits.

LT Guppy
05-31-2013, 04:05 PM
You can get whatever degree you want from where ever you want. (almost - there are some restrictions if you're trying to use Tuition Assistance, but not many)
The difference, like you said, is how many transfer credits they will accept.

Kelvinli
05-31-2013, 07:32 PM
So if the curriculum requires labs that must be done physically instead of virtually, I would have to find the school on base somewhere. Which bases would have Excelsior or Old dominion? what about on ship?

LT Guppy
05-31-2013, 07:36 PM
So if the curriculum requires labs that must be done physically instead of virtually, I would have to find the school on base somewhere. Which bases would have Excelsior or Old dominion? what about on ship?

No. You would have to go to the college site like any other college program. It wouldn't be on base, it would be at the college it's self. Excelsior is in New York, ODU is in Virginia. Both have distance programs, but that may not apply to labs, you would have to contact the school directly.

Kelvinli
05-31-2013, 07:52 PM
Hm so if I cant do it through the distance program, then could I get stationed near them either in VA or NY? If not then hoow could I finish the degree?

LT Guppy
05-31-2013, 07:59 PM
ODU is in Norfolk, so that's easy enough.

Kelvinli
05-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Now I dont have much say in my duty station but I can still request Norfolk. and if I go on sea duty, I can finish up the rest online?

LT Guppy
05-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Yes you can request Norfolk. But like Forbes and I have been trying to tell you, in all likelihood you WILL NOT have time to take classes your first couple years.

Yes, people go to college while they are in the Navy, and are successful at both. But your priority has to be doing your job.

Kelvinli
05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
I know I just want to have as much info now so I can recall it lter on! Thanks for everything!