PDA

View Full Version : Bible/Address Book

Space_Elf
04-09-2013, 12:30 AM
I've been told by a few people that bringing an address book is a great idea, but that sometimes the RDCs make you send them home. Several people have told me that the better bet is to bring a bible or religious text and write down names/addresses/phone numbers in there and slide in some stamps because they let you keep the bible.

is there any truth to this?

If there is... what exactly counts as a religious text? Philosophy? Is there a size requirement? Does it make a difference that I'm not actually religious? I mean, religion is such a touchy subject I don't want to rock the boat or anything... any advice would be appreciated.

Auridan
04-09-2013, 12:41 AM
A pocket Bible (or another specifically religious text) is the perfect smuggling tool. It is specifically allowed for you to bring one small copy of such a thing. And the fact that it's a touchy subject means you don't have to be the least bit genuinely religious, because the RDC can't very well make you justify having one by interrogating you on your knowledge of scripture. Do be aware that if you run into anyone seriously devout, they might be offended by your "defacing" their holy text. So don't pick a Quran. Really.

Unfortunately, no other literature would work for this. Philosophy is near to my heart as well, but a copy of Plato's Republic doesn't make the Navy's protected list. Maybe you could try with Sun Tzu's Art of War, though...

At my MEPS, in the ceremonial swearing-in room, there was a stack of desert camo pocket Bibles about the size of a large index card, in a box labeled "Free Bibles, please take one!". (I have to say I was quite annoyed by this obvious favoritism.) The Bible being the single most printed book in history, you should not have the slightest difficulty finding this size before you ship.

Space_Elf
04-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks, that was precisely what I wanted to know. I wish i could get away with a nice philosophy book, if I could I'd find a pocket edition of Hagakure or something...

fsRizer
04-10-2013, 07:13 PM
MEPS Raleigh had them in Naval camo

hellokitty
04-10-2013, 07:42 PM
I put all my address in Excel, printed it out, cut off all the excess paper, and slid it in my wallet. Takes up a lot less space than a Bible :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4761282_create-address-book-excel.html

prop827
04-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I keep a piece of paper with important phone numbers in my wallet to this day. You can also keep a regular address book, so long as it is small (pocket size) and fits in your A&B Drawer. I had one in boot and it had my addresses in it, and I drew up a calendar (to count down days to grad) on the first Sunday we could write letters and wrote down a little diary of every day in boot camp in the back in the notes section of it. I still have it somewhere....

Duct
04-13-2013, 01:48 PM
I got away with bringing a religious book that isn't a bible. I'd think if you bring any book that is small and looks old and/or is leather-bound, you'll be just fine. If anyone questions you, just state that it's your religious text. To be honest, no one besides my shipmates ever realized the book I brought isn't a bible.

Haasino
04-13-2013, 03:59 PM
I got away with bringing a religious book that isn't a bible. I'd think if you bring any book that is small and looks old and/or is leather-bound, you'll be just fine. If anyone questions you, just state that it's your religious text. To be honest, no one besides my shipmates ever realized the book I brought isn't a bible.

So... what was it?

Space_Elf
04-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Exactly how big is too big? I'm having lots of trouble locating something that is "pocket size". The book I've got is 4in by 6in, but it's on the tick side (1 and 3/4 inches). Is that too big?

hellokitty
04-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Exactly how big is too big? I'm having lots of trouble locating something that is "pocket size". The book I've got is 4in by 6in, but it's on the tick side (1 and 3/4 inches). Is that too big?

It sounds like you don't even really want the bible, just a place to keep your stamps and addresses. You get to keep your wallet, just put them in there.

sweetmtn
04-21-2013, 12:35 PM
You can find "pocket size" bibles in most book stores..however it will only be the New Testament...not a complete with the Old. I have several and they are about the size of a deck of cards. You can even ask your church if they have any...as that is where I got mine for my sons that went in the military.