PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone

OliviaJ
02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Do I really need to bring my cell phone to boot camp? or Can I borrow someone else's phone to make the "I'm here" call? I really don't want to bring my cellphone because my contract has ended and I'm considering getting a prepaid cell just for the "I'm here" call.

USNParsons
02-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I am almost positive that they have phones there for you to use once you get there, with that said I have also heard that it takes longer to use these phones and that by bringing your own phone, you may possibly have a little more time on the phone.

ejrwelch
02-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I am sure some one will let you use theirs! if not make sure you have that little note to your family in your pants pocket for when they get your box! Ive heard of a few recruits not having time for their "I am here" call so do what you feel necessary!

llamayamaa
02-22-2013, 06:20 PM
If you don't get ahold of someone the first night you arrive, they're *suppose* to give you another chance later on (a few days or a week) to call again. At least, my RDCs did that for my division.

Haasino
02-22-2013, 06:35 PM
The payphones have all been removed from Bldg. 1405... you can try to borrow a cell phone from another recruit, but it's pretty stressful and they're yelling at everyone to hurry up and finish, so you might not get the chance.

NavyGuyRob
02-22-2013, 07:26 PM
yeah when i ship i was thinking of doing the same thing.....just getting a prepaid phone

sweetmtn
02-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Why not wait to have your cell service put on HOLD until 2 or 3 days after you ship out and have it set to auto pay for when you re-activate it when you graduate boot?

vabchsue
02-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Sue, guess I wasn't paying attention - when did they stop the phone call home to tell you that they had gotten to GL? I still remember when we got it. Do you remember yours? :exactly:

cire
02-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Sue, guess I wasn't paying attention - when did they stop the phone call home to tell you that they had gotten to GL? I still remember when we got it. Do you remember yours? :exactly:

Yeah we weren't spoiled. We actually used payphones.

Malarkey
02-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Yeah we weren't spoiled. We actually used payphones.

Better than your telegrams, old timer. ;)

:wavetowel2:

Haasino
02-23-2013, 11:53 AM

They didn't stop the phone calls home... they just removed the payphones because everyone has cell phones these days.

saltysailor
04-09-2013, 01:18 AM
I thought I read somewhere that very recently we are allowed to keep cell phones at RTC, but they can't come out until Sundays. Is my brain making this up or is it real? I can't find it anywhere.

soveryproudmom
04-09-2013, 06:42 AM
My SR is currently in BC, NO cell phones! She sent hers back in "the box"

Temen
04-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Huh, wonder when they took out the payphones. I remember using them for my call home back in July 2011.

By the way, for the cellphones only on Sunday I think that's Army and possibly Air Force.

Shenanigans
04-10-2013, 07:33 AM
@SaltySailor

My boyfriend is at RTC right now, I also read that cell phones were allowed AND beginning this past January, recruits were granted one phone call per week. I should say, both are false. He did the same thing, cancelled his phone before he left, was able to use the payphone to do his Im here call at midnight the day he arrived

HMJones
04-10-2013, 09:27 AM
My recruiter said that depending on your RDC you may be able to keep your cell phone in a lock box there, but won't be able to use it.

:rockon:

mrsgriebel
04-10-2013, 11:34 AM
My recruiter said that depending on your RDC you may be able to keep your cell phone in a lock box there, but won't be able to use it.

I also heard this and I also heard only the Army and Airforce let you store things in a lock box, not the Navy or Marine.

Haasino
04-10-2013, 11:39 AM

That's a negative, Ghostrider!

Your cell phone and belongings are boxed up and shipped home before you even get your division... and several days before your RDCs grace you with their presence. The only secure storage at RTC is your A&B drawer.

Temen
04-10-2013, 02:18 PM
That's a negative, Ghostrider!

Your cell phone and belongings are boxed up and shipped home before you even get your division... and several days before your RDCs grace you with their presence. The only secure storage at RTC is your A&B drawer.
Speaking of your A&B drawer, try not to get too sick at RTC. All of your personal belongings, writing material, hygiene items, and pretty much everything that isn't a uniform item has to fit in it. On top of that, all of your medication also has to fit in there. I've seen some recruits with drugstores in their A&B locker, not sure where they found room for everything else. Granted there is some room UNDER and BEHIND the drawer if you're willing to pull it all the way out every time.

sweetmtn
04-12-2013, 05:23 PM
OK...let me advise you that I JUST got off the phone with the region command for the western states...NO YOU CANNOT KEEP YOUR CELL PHONE AT BOOT! You CAN and SHOULD bring it with you to call home when you arrive as your call saying you arrived! When you are put in line to get your new navy clothes and pack your other clothes to be shipped home, your cell phone will be packed as well! You will be required to remove the battery and place it in one shoe and the phone in the other, the box will be sealed and shipped home. Here is a number for a regional command in my part of the country...ask anyone who answers or ask for petty officer Sewell 775 331-1126 or e-mail him Daniel.sewell@navy.mil

HMJones
04-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Thank you for the clarification guys.

rac
04-13-2013, 07:18 PM
My phone battery is not removable...Should I get a pre paid phone or just hope they don't yell at me for not being able to remove it? I have the HTC One X through AT&T.

Auridan
04-13-2013, 07:22 PM
My phone battery is not removable...Should I get a pre paid phone or just hope they don't yell at me for not being able to remove it? I have the HTC One X through AT&T.

You're sure the battery absolutely can't be taken out? Because if I were to guess, I'd think it's a safety issue. They don't want to risk a phone coming on for whatever reason while shipping by plane. I've never known a phone that can't be de-batteried.

EDIT:...and thank you HTC for introducing me to the newest Stupidest Thing Ever, a phone that can't be opened up normally. So scratch that question about removing the battery.

Haasino
04-13-2013, 09:05 PM

You're fine... I had an iPhone and was told to just power it off.

rac
04-13-2013, 09:28 PM
You're fine... I had an iPhone and was told to just power it off.
Awesome, thanks Haasino!

drcsyntax
04-14-2013, 07:14 AM
EDIT:...and thank you HTC for introducing me to the newest Stupidest Thing Ever, a phone that can't be opened up normally. So scratch that question about removing the battery.

Iphones have been around forever, there's always been a fervor about apple making things that you can't remove the battery from lol

Auridan
04-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Iphones have been around forever, there's always been a fervor about apple making things that you can't remove the battery from lol

Glad I've never been an Apple guy...

griz3232
04-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Why is everyone so worried about a stupid cell phone. In your list of stuff to bring it says bring a phone card. BC is not a social club or Club Med it is a training facility to get you ready for your career.

F/S-MARodriguez
04-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Why is everyone so worried about a stupid cell phone. In your list of stuff to bring it says bring a phone card. BC is not a social club or Club Med it is a training facility to get you ready for your career.

It isn't? Those of us who have been through boot camp recently can definitely make a good argument against that statement.

No, you don't need to bring a cell phone. Mine broke when I got off the plane to Chicago and was able to borrow the guy's phone that was across from me. No one will really do a lot of yelling your first night there, in fact I was in a state of shock & asked multiple times to the recruits around me if this was easier than they expected.