PDA

View Full Version : Navy Boot Camp for Vegetarians

alex.martinez
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I wanted to make thread to help my fellow Vegetarians out there. There isnt that much information about being vegetarian at boot camp, but there is plenty on being a well informed non meat eater. I will keep posting articles I find on healthy non meat eating and I plan on taking notes about the galley food and once I graduate I will write back on how it was being a vegetarian.

To start things off here is a great and short article about Iron. It something most vegetarians think about and It is a lot easier to get than you would think.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/iron-for-vegetarians/
:Eating at table:

alex.martinez
02-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Here are some good foods with a lot of protien to look out for in the chow line at RTC. Check the link

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

P.s. im going to try to get rid of my sig photo but i cant on an ipad for some reason.

alex.martinez
02-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Here is a great article on what we vegetariians tend to lack in our diets.

http://www.vegetarianvoice.com/vegetarian-nutrition/7/five-nutrients-vegetarian-diets-lack/

Remember once i get back from boot ill try to write a detailed thing on what i ate and what not. I dont think they are many vegetarians on this site but hopefully some one will findthis thread on a google search

Malarkey
02-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Heh, not to sound like a jerk, but the Navy could care less if you're a vegetarian or not, ESPECIALLY at boot camp. From a medical perspective, and in my opinion, I wouldn't if you don't want to lag behind.

That, and be thankful this isn't the Marines. Hahahaha.

llamayamaa
02-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Heh, not to sound like a jerk, but the Navy could care less if you're a vegetarian or not, ESPECIALLY at boot camp. From a medical perspective, and in my opinion, I wouldn't if you don't want to lag behind.

That, and be thankful this isn't the Marines. Hahahaha.

I graduated 2/1 and am a vegetarian. I can vouch that while it IS difficult, it is NOT impossible. A well-informed vegetarian can do just as well as a non vegetarian in bootcamp. Don't let anyone tell you that your performance will lag behind others or that the RDCs or the Navy will not be tolerant of your dietary choices. Yes, you will have less options as a vegetarian, but it is ENTIRELY possible to get the necessary amount of protein in the food they serve. We live in a society that over-eats meat to begin with, and most people don't have a clue as to how much protein one really needs per day.

If you're a vegetarian and have questions or concerns, please feel free to message me. I wish I had someone offering guidance to me before I went to RTC that was more than just "start eating meat if you want to make it."

sweetmtn
02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
If you're a vegetarian and have questions or concerns, please feel free to message me. I wish I had someone offering guidance to me before I went to RTC that was more than just "start eating meat if you want to make it."

Why dont you post the menu items you were offered there at boot to help here....

Malarkey
02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
...or that the RDCs or the Navy will not be tolerant of your dietary choices. Yes, you will have less options as a vegetarian, but it is ENTIRELY possible to get the necessary amount of protein in the food they serve.

I didn't say or mean that they won't be tolerant, I just meant don't expect to walk up to an RDC and ask for anything special because of your dietary opinion.

alex.martinez
02-05-2013, 11:45 PM
I didn't say or mean that they won't be tolerant, I just meant don't expect to walk up to an RDC and ask for anything special because of your dietary opinion.

I would never expect that. I do however refuse to accept that my preformace will lag because of my non meatdiet. I am a very active person and a well informed vegetarian. I know it wont be easy but if i can make it easier on ther vegetarian future sailors then ill try.

McHolySOul
02-06-2013, 02:24 AM
From a body-building perspective, meat provides a generous supply of essential amino acids, creatine and traces of zinc, which is required for insulin, growth hormone, and testosterone metabolism. Creatine helps muscle gains, which makes meats like beef with high content of it stand out vs other sources. Then again, those who abstain could just supplement it directly, since it isn't meat derived... but basically meat = muscle , muscle = strength/endurance.

alex.martinez
02-06-2013, 07:26 AM
From a body-building perspective, meat provides a generous supply of essential amino acids, creatine and traces of zinc, which is required for insulin, growth hormone, and testosterone metabolism. Creatine helps muscle gains, which makes meats like beef with high content of it stand out vs other sources. Then again, those who abstain could just supplement it directly, since it isn't meat derived... but basically meat = muscle , muscle = strength/endurance.

I have seceral friends that are body builders and dont eat meat. How they do it i am not sure. I dont know the science but i do know they are big and ripped. Im sure they supplement. But i have been a vegetarian for 4 years now and have nver seen any lack of improvement in my rock climbing. Both diets have their pros and cons. Either way, meat or no meat as long as you are getting proper nutrients and avoid garbage food you should see gains in athletic preformance.

alex.martinez
02-06-2013, 07:36 AM
But honestly i dont want this thread to turn into a debate. Most vegetarians have heard by most every one they know that what they are doing is wrong. It usually doesnt change thier mind. Id rather this thread be a resource to help out fellow deppers

sweetmtn
02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
I agree this thread should not be a debate on the choice to eat meat or not...SO.............IF YOU HAVE BEEN TO BOOT AND KNOW WHAT THE MENU IS FOR VEGGIES AND THOSE THAT CHOOSE NOT TO EAT MEAT IN ANY FORM.....PLEASE POST IT HERE!

hellokitty
02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Bagged lunches kind of sucked, but they sucked for everyone (lunch meat sandwich, apple, carrots, trail mix, chips, capri-sun). My division knew I was a vegetarian and everyone offered me their items from their lunch that they weren't going to eat. More often than not, I ended up with more food than I could eat! Your shipmates will take care of you as long as you let them know you're a vegetarian.

Yuck! When do they hand those out?

llamayamaa
02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
When there isn't time to make it to the galley for a meal. During P-days when you're at medical, when you're at DC training (the last week) and if you're in a 900 division practicing at the drill hall. At least, that's when my division had them the most.

Oh yeah, and when people talked in the galley or in the line outside of the galley and got in trouble, our RDCs liked to pull them and make them eat bagged nasties.