PDA

View Full Version : What ribbons and medals can your sailor earn in boot camp?

Craig
01-18-2013, 06:58 PM
The only ribbons or medals that a recruit can get while in boot camp is the National Defense Service Medal and the Pistol Marksmanship Medal. When you earn "Expert" you get both a medal and a ribbon. For general marksmanship and "Sharpshooter" you only earn a ribbon.

The National Defense Service Medal is what sailors call a "geedunk" medal since you don't earn it, it is just given to you because you served honorably during a designated time period of which a "national emergency" had been declared. Everyone gets it.
http://i47.tinypic.com/wu2usx.jpg

The other one they you can earn while in boot camp is the Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon. There are 3 levels:
Marksman:
http://i45.tinypic.com/s6hzsm.jpg

Sharpshooter:
http://i50.tinypic.com/orp2k9.jpg

Expert:
http://i48.tinypic.com/5f0qia.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/ilbscl.jpg

c. Summary Table – Navy Handgun Qualification Course
Yard = 3
Rounds = 12
Sequence =
Draw and fire two rounds/4 seconds
Draw and fire two rounds, reload six rounds and fire two rounds/10 seconds
Draw and fire four rounds/8 seconds

Yard = 7
Rounds = 12
Sequence =
Draw and fire two rounds, reload six rounds and fire two rounds/10 seconds

Yard = 15
Rounds = 24
Sequence =
Draw and fire four rounds, reload 12 rounds and fire four rounds/20 seconds
Draw and fire eight rounds/20 seconds.

Marksmanship awards, qualification, and record entries shall be based on the following:
Possible Score = 240
Expert = 228 - 240
Sharpshooter = 204 – 227
Marksman = 180 - 203
Minimum Qualifying Score = 180
Unqualified = Less than 180

This is straight out of the OPNAV Instruction 3591.1f
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/03000%20Naval%20Operations%20and%20Readiness/03-500%20Training%20and%20Readiness%20Services/3591.1F.pdf

Blasterion
01-18-2013, 07:40 PM
How hard would it be to get expert?

Craig
01-18-2013, 07:56 PM
How hard would it be to get expert?

I would say 10% get it, but I'll let those that been through boot camp verify that....

Haasino
01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
I would say 10% get it, but I'll let those that been through boot camp verify that....

I'd say that's accurate, Craig... I was only one of only 4 people in my division and my brother div to earn expert. That silver E does get attention from what I've experienced... it's like a club; only experts ever ask each other what we scored.

As far as how to earn it... familiarity with a 9mm Beretta helps, but just paying attention and taking your time between shots is enough. Practice the holster drills so you can draw quickly, and have more time to place your shots.

Blasterion
01-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I'd say that's accurate, Craig... I was only one of only 4 people in my division and my brother div to earn expert. That silver E does get attention from what I've experienced... it's like a club; only experts ever ask each other what we scored.

As far as how to earn it... familiarity with a 9mm Beretta helps, but just paying attention and taking your time between shots is enough. Practice the holster drills so you can draw quickly, and have more time to place your shots.
Time for me to commence image training! but I've never handled a firearm before. But how brief is the pause between shots would you say

3rdGenSailor
01-18-2013, 11:38 PM
How much do they train you? Enough one can earn expert? I'm more of a rifle marksman. I recently bought a 45c and I bought 150 rounds, shot about 50 so far, but I got a long way from being expert, which I really want to get

dascolbert
01-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Is the final test on digital hardware? I heard those are inaccurate. Also, do you have a second chance at Expert if you fail the first round?

Blasterion
01-19-2013, 09:36 AM
so do they let you retake the course if you get a malfunction?

Haasino
01-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Time for me to commence image training! but I've never handled a firearm before. But how brief is the pause between shots would you say

Most are 4 seconds to draw and fire 2 shots... if you can break leather and get on-target fast, that really gives you time. The first round is always gonna be double-action, so really take your time and squeeze... don't jerk.

How much do they train you? Enough one can earn expert?

I know of one person that got expert and had never touched a pistol.

Is the final test on digital hardware? I heard those are inaccurate. Also, do you have a second chance at Expert if you fail the first round?

No, SAMT is a seperate day and they don't even give you your score because of how inaccurate it is.

so do they let you retake the course if you get a malfunction?

It would depend on the malfunction I guess... most of the instructors will just let you fire an extra round during the next stage to make it up.

Blasterion
01-19-2013, 11:46 AM
The worst case I can think of is a double feed.
stovepipes, failure to feed/ misfire, failure to battery isn't bad to fix quickly

Jsmith
01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks Craig this is great info!

prop827
01-23-2013, 08:12 AM
If I remember correctly in my division

Expert - 5
Sharpshooter - 26
Marksman - 45
Did Not Qualify - 4

prop827
02-19-2013, 04:12 AM
The worst case I can think of is a double feed.
stovepipes, failure to feed/ misfire, failure to battery isn't bad to fix quickly

Also, just so no one gets confused, you will learn what all of these malfunctions are in boot camp and how to fix them BUT during the live fire exercise you ARE NOT ALLOWED TO fix these malfunctions. They don't trust recruits to do that, too many have "broken blue" attempting in the past. Instead the instruction (as I recall) is to maintain the weapon pointed at the target and raise your left hand and shout "misfire".

You will be briefed on exactly how to act, but this is how it was when I was there.

PacificSunrise
02-19-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm getting Expert, no doubt :) Thanks to 3 yrs Adv. Marksmanship at my high school (Yes, it has a shooting range downstairs)

llamayamaa
02-20-2013, 03:55 PM

Yes, you'll have a chance to retake your pistol qual once you get out of bootcamp. You can also take your rifle qual as well.

prop827
02-26-2013, 03:41 PM
You can take and retake the pistol and rifle qual as many times as you want once you're OUT of bootcamp (but you have to pay a range fee and for ammunition and such for each time). In bootcamp you get one shot at pistol (and a second try if you didn't qualify for a ribbon at all, but only 2).

NavyGuyRob
02-26-2013, 09:25 PM
I hoping the training is good because i never had any type of gun training or shooting so i am hoping to do good enough to get sharp shooter

j1nx440
02-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Trying for ex what sort of targets are used

prop827
02-27-2013, 04:28 PM
It is a scored version of the FBI Q-Target. Heres A Picture at this link!

http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/cvn77/PublishingImages/Photo_gallery/1006/100618-N-6632S-077.jpg

Bingle
02-27-2013, 06:26 PM
the national defense ribbon doesn't have that much longer left on it being given out in basic. With the soon (hopefully) withdraw of the marines, it will end.

prop827
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
the national defense ribbon doesn't have that much longer left on it being given out in basic. With the soon (hopefully) withdraw of the marines, it will end.

This has been the rumor since promises were made of a total withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan by some politicians running for office. When it actually happens, yes the McDonalds ribbon goes away until the next war, but I'll believe it when I see it...

:allhail:

Bingle
03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
This has been the rumor since promises were made of a total withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan by some politicians running for office. When it actually happens, yes the McDonalds ribbon goes away until the next war, but I'll believe it when I see it...

:allhail:

i agree it might not happen. At least not before North Korea starts something more so.

Predfan
02-08-2014, 08:52 AM
What type of sidearm is used. 9mm?

Haasino
02-08-2014, 09:08 AM
What type of sidearm is used. 9mm?

Beretta M9... Military version of the civilian 9mm Beretta 92FS.

Predfan
02-08-2014, 09:58 AM
thanks, headed to the gym and range today. ship in 4 weeks, march 10

JDMom
05-14-2014, 12:02 AM
I heard it was rare but is there a number?

Haasino
05-14-2014, 03:56 AM
I heard it was rare but is there a number?

I've personally never met someone who got a perfect score... but I've met a few others who scored a 239. My brother division's RDC scored a 239... when he heard my score, he asked me "what it the weakhand transition at 15yds?", heh.