PDA

View Full Version : Boot camp

OliviaJ
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Hey Everyone! Future Sailor Jamerson here. Quick question(s). I don't know how to swim. Will the Navy teach me in boot camp? If so, how? Also, what are the current female hair standards for Navy boot camp? * I am an African-American female.* Should i cut my hair? I was thinking about doing my hair in braids(cornrows). Thanks for the input!

McNulty
01-15-2013, 03:27 PM
yes they will teach you how to swim at rtc but its best to know how to already swim prior to shipping out because you will have to spend extra time in a swimming class

LT Guppy
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
- If you can, learn to swim before you go, you don't want to be stuck in remedial swim class.

- Your hair has to be above your collar. Some RDCs may let you keep cornrows in, but they can also make you take them out.

EliteGeek91
01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I'd take the corn-rolls out, because in boot, they cut females hair to above the shoulders, and I doubt they'd allow corn-rolls.

Also yeah learn to swim prior to boot if all possible. I hear if you say you can't swim, then sometimes they will remove your phone privileges or something for a few weeks.

Idk how true it is, but I'd try to learn prior to boot, so you stay with the pack, and don't get singled out too much.

stevebw
01-16-2013, 05:40 PM
edited.

kforbs126
01-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I'd take the corn-rolls out, because in boot, they cut females hair to above the shoulders, and I doubt they'd allow corn-rolls.

Also yeah learn to swim prior to boot if all possible. I hear if you say you can't swim, then sometimes they will remove your phone privileges or something for a few weeks.

Idk how true it is, but I'd try to learn prior to boot, so you stay with the pack, and don't get singled out too much.

They do allow corn rows at least they did in my division. It's allowed in the Navy regs.

samakb
01-16-2013, 08:54 PM
They do allow corn rows at least they did in my division. It's allowed in the Navy regs.

Yup!

"Short hair may be braided in symmetrical fore and aft rows (corn rowing) which minimize scalp exposure."

U.S. Navy Uniform Regulations, Chapter Two, Section 2, Article 2201.3:
Source (http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/uniforms/Pages/FAQs.aspx)

maggio1994
01-18-2013, 04:24 AM
Hair: Above the collar, most RDCs allow corn rows.

Swim: It's best to learn before you go, but if you fail the test you'll just go for lessons until you can pass. Just a side note, the swimming pool is on one end of the base and the barracks are on the opposite end, it's about a 1.5mile walk each way. You'll usually wake up at 0500, eat breakfast then walk to the pool, swim then walk back. If you don't pass by the time your division gets to battle stations you'll get sent back in training (ASMO)

The test isn't hard, it's 3 parts.

1. Swim
- Jump off a 10 foot tower into the pool
- Swim to the other end of the pool

2. Dead-mans float
- Lay face down in the water, when you need air you come up, breath, then go back into the water, repeat for a few minutes.
(to float just relax your body and hold air in your lungs, air is lighter than water so you float. When you come up to breath kick your legs and move your arms to stay above water)

3. Coverall floating
- Put coveralls on
- Get in water
- Put face in water
- Splash air\water into the opening of the coveralls
- Be still and float for like 5 seconds

The coverall part looks more difficult than it is, you literally put your face in the water, hold the front open with your left hand and put your right hand in the air and slam it into the water and pull it towards the opening so the air and water goes into the coveralls then after about 3 splashes pull the front of the coveralls shut and be still for about 5 seconds until they tell you to get out.

prop827
01-23-2013, 08:16 AM
They will teach you or improve your swimming if you need it, but you only have 6 weeks to do it, after that you're done. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. I would HIGHLY ENCOURAGE you to learn how to swim BEFORE you go. Its always better to learn things ahead of time when you have no stress than to try and learn at boot camp when the stress and pressure is on. If you have to go to swimming lessons on top of learn all the other boot camp stuff it will really set you back. Its worth it to try and get comfortable in the pool and learn the basics before you go as best you can. It can be done in bootcamp for sure, I've seen it, but why put it off?