PDA

View Full Version : My wisdom teeth

FutureSailorB
01-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Do they have to be taken out in bootcamp even if you dont have any issues with them

LT Guppy
01-01-2013, 03:58 PM
More often than not, yes. But it depends on the dentist.

The reason being, they don't want them to start giving you trouble sometime when you're in the middle of the ocean.

camfurr
01-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Do they have to be taken out in bootcamp even if you dont have any issues with them

I thought the same thing before I went to bootcamp. When I finally went to dental, they told me they were going to wait a few years for them to take them out. It really just depends on who is doing your paperwork honestly.

FutureSailorB
01-01-2013, 04:31 PM
oh ok i was just wondering cuz i have had my in for along time and they dont bother me at but im going reserve not active so I'm a little worried that they will

jhmman
01-05-2013, 10:33 PM
This piqued my interest. I have one wisdom tooth for the last four years. Yes, just the one. Don't know where the heck the other three decided to go off to. Anyway, since I really don't have an issue with it, I'm guessing it won't be an issue, right?

3rdGenSailor
01-05-2013, 10:44 PM
I was glad to get all of mine pulled at once a year ago, sucked then but now I don't have to worry about it at RTC

Malarkey
01-05-2013, 11:12 PM
This piqued my interest. I have one wisdom tooth for the last four years. Yes, just the one. Don't know where the heck the other three decided to go off to. Anyway, since I really don't have an issue with it, I'm guessing it won't be an issue, right?

Wait...what?!

prop827
01-23-2013, 08:37 AM
They're coming out. Mine came in fine no problems (my civilian dentist was gonna have me keep them). I got all 4 out in boot. You will get them out, most in boot but some might get delayed til A School or First command. No worries though, they're wisdom teeth pros at RTC and you'll be fine. Discomfort a little, but pain? virtually none.

TYWong
01-23-2013, 04:29 PM
A friend of mine also said how he got all of his wisdom teeth removed even though he said there were no problems with them.
The first 3 were taken out with ease by an apprentice dental HM, and the last one was removed by the dentist there. He was yanked around and the dentist actually had to break his last wisdom tooth into pieces and took it out little at a time. He also told me other people didn't have theirs pulled out at all.

I guess it really depends sometimes.

jhmman
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
A quick reply/update: I decided to get my one tooth yanked while I was still at home, and if there had been any complications, I would have had more time to recover. As it is, it was really simple; 15 minutes to take it out apparently (I don't remember it at all). Now I don't have to worry about it when I get to boot!

cire
03-06-2013, 11:52 AM
It's pretty common to have to break your wisdom teeth to get it out.

In boot camp a lot of people get them out, they will get 2-3 days of bed rest to recover.

I never got mine taken out. My bottom two were grown out already, and my top two are growing towards the back of my head or something like that.

FYI, the Navy LOVES pulling teeth.. so that might be good or bad depending on how you look at it

PacificSunrise
03-06-2013, 07:34 PM
FYI, the Navy LOVES pulling teeth.. so that might be good or bad depending on how you look at it

That's the military for you lmao

sporkhey
03-31-2013, 01:25 AM
What about oral surgery.... such as my teeth are still below the skin. Bout 1/4 to 1/2 showing the tooth

cire
03-31-2013, 10:18 AM
What about oral surgery.... such as my teeth are still below the skin. Bout 1/4 to 1/2 showing the tooth

If it's just poking through, chances are they will want to remove it

jhmman
04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Hey all, Chief came by to talk with my office last week, and one of the questions asked was if we have to get wisdom teeth pulled. Chief replied with "If you have wisdom teeth now, you won't after Basic." I think that's a pretty straightforward answer; looks like teeth get pulled no matter what.

griz3232
04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Hey all, Chief came by to talk with my office last week, and one of the questions asked was if we have to get wisdom teeth pulled. Chief replied with "If you have wisdom teeth now, you won't after Basic." I think that's a pretty straightforward answer; looks like teeth get pulled no matter what.

Wow, that really sucks. That was the one thing that I am nervous about for Basic. Everything else seems manageable. Will they give you pain medicine or is it one of those "suck it up and deal with it" type of situations. I am just hoping for some Tylenol or something.

cire
04-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Wow, that really sucks. That was the one thing that I am nervous about for Basic. Everything else seems manageable. Will they give you pain medicine or is it one of those "suck it up and deal with it" type of situations. I am just hoping for some Tylenol or something.

They will give you meds for it and a short recovery time. Not everyone will get theirs out, but a lot of people do. If you THINK you might get them taken out, you are better off getting them out before going in.

jhmman
04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Yeah, before I saw this post about it on the forums, I never really thought about it since I only have, sorry, HAD, one tooth, and it didn't post any issues for me. However, after talking with my recruiter, I decided to get it pulled before I shipped. I'm happy I did; it took all of 15 minutes to get it out and sew stuff up, and I had lots more time to recover. I was told you get two days SIQ to recover from wisdom tooth removal, which, if you only have top wisdom teeth, is all you really need. If you have bottom teeth, which are apparently lots harder to get out, you might need more time to recover.

ninbri
04-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Hm, I'm a little freaked now.
Mine haven't even started to come in AT ALL yet.

SoonaSailorPhil
05-09-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm awaiting boot camp and my wisdom teeth just started to bother me. I got them taken out now. I think it's a good idea because you have more time to recover and more pain meds. My recruiter said you get 1 recovery day in boot which I think would suck.

PacificSunrise
05-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Got my bottom two pulled at boot. He sawed right through my gums (teeth were inside), drilled them in half and pulled them out, stitched me back up and got a cut on my lip. Received pain meds, 2 days SIQ, 1 day LLD, couldn't eat anything but jello for a week. Easy Day.

sporkhey
05-12-2013, 10:28 PM
I think I will wait and let them do it at boot camp for the full experience!!

Amos37
05-13-2013, 07:30 PM
I hope not

johnplisac32
05-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Mine are already pulled

depsailorgroff
05-16-2013, 09:52 PM
This is going to be painful.. I only have one of my Definitely nervous about this now.

FutureSailorB
06-13-2013, 06:24 AM
So i came back from boot camp and A-school if u have ur wisdom teeth they will pull them. They pulled all four of mine at the same time but its nothing to worry about they will take care of you