PDA

View Full Version : Paper in bootcamp

Rex84
12-27-2012, 01:17 PM
I am looking to keep a small journal of my daily activities in bootcamp. Hopefully I can use it to better inform DEPers when I get out. I can mail it home periodically for safe keeping.

Questions:
Do they let you bring paper to boot?

How much do they supply you with?

Thanks

AVSailor
12-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I am looking to keep a small journal of my daily activities in bootcamp. Hopefully I can use it to better inform DEPers when I get out. I can mail it home periodically for safe keeping.

Questions:
Do they let you bring paper to boot?

How much do they supply you with?

Thanks

I don't believe they will let u have any actually. I didn't try to get any in but i don't recall. . . Worst that could happen is they will send it home with the rest of your stuff. They give u two navy journals and a writing kit. But u take a lot of notes. And if u go to the Nex u can probably buy another one. But u cant carry it with you. Thats "off spot" and u can get in a lot of trouble for having anything on u that isnt required.

LT Guppy
12-27-2012, 02:15 PM
You would probably be better off using your letters home as a type of journal.

AVSailor
12-27-2012, 03:40 PM
You would probably be better off using your letters home as a type of journal.

you don't get very much of those either. lol

LT Guppy
12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
My husband managed to write a full page (front and back) just about every day. So I guess it really just depends how much journaling/writing you want to do.
Keep in mind you won't have much free time.

camfurr
12-27-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't believe they will let u have any actually. I didn't try to get any in but i don't recall. . . Worst that could happen is they will send it home with the rest of your stuff. They give u two navy journals and a writing kit. But u take a lot of notes. And if u go to the Nex u can probably buy another one. But u cant carry it with you. Thats "off spot" and u can get in a lot of trouble for having anything on u that isnt required.

If you can fit it into your A/B drawer, you can have it. I never kept a journal, but I kept most of my mailing stuff under my A/B drawer. I had to move racks a couple of times, and they never said anything about it. As long as inspectors can't see any of it, you're fine.

Rex84
12-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the advice!

SN-Madman
12-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Be careful, though, if you keep a journal - a couple guys got IT'd when they discovered notes in their journals. Oh - and don't write anything you wouldn't want EVERYONE to hear - we had one guy get IT'd while the RDC's read off his love letter talking about how he was a SEAL and he was working out with his hard-core SPEC-OPS buddies everyday... you can only imagine how embarrassing that was... So just be careful what you write, when.

prop827
01-23-2013, 08:45 AM
My small address book had way more pages then I had numbers and addresses so I kept a log on my empty pages in that every night after taps. (No, writing anything in your rack after taps is not allowed but most recruits will do it) Its sort of an unwritten thing you can do before bed as long as you're discreet. Some people will also use the time to discreetly start, write, or finish letters to mail the next time mail is outgoing and keep the letters in their A&B Drawers. You'll get a pad of recruit paper for letter writing and you can buy more on your trips to the Nex, but I just found using the back of my address book easier and more convenient. Mine also had a calendar so I counted down days to PIR and 'X'd' days off the calendar at night.