PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp in an 800 division

camfurr
12-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Whats up everyone? Just graduated bootcamp last Friday. I did happen to graduate from an 800 division, and I know we do have some spec ops hopefuls out there, so if anyone needs questions answered about bootcamp or life in an 800 division, I'd be happy to answer them!

FutureND
12-24-2012, 08:57 PM
How was being in an 800 division different then a regular division? I would gues more pt?

camfurr
12-25-2012, 12:20 PM
From what I saw of the other divisions, we did a lot more drill, marched a whole lot more, and got a whole lot less sleep than the regular divisions. Typically 800 divisions are typically more motivated that regular rifle divisions, so the 800 div RDC's tend to be a little harsher than regular RDC's, but thats because they don't want you to settle for average or above average, they want you to be the best. We ended up HOFing with a 4.91 out of a 5.0, and 5.0 being a a perfect score on everything. The closest score to ours was a 4.71 which was still a HOF, but barely. I would have to say that the RDC's in ship 4 are the best on base, hands down. We would not have achieved the score we did without them. As far as PT goes, I got out of shape in bootcamp. My run came down a little bit, but my pushups, situps, and pullups dropped significantly. I lost about 2 minutes on my swim as well. You PT a lot, but you don't really have a lot of time to recover, so it hurts more than it helps. I'm trying to get back to where I was before now that I can get a normal amount of rest again. I hope this helps you man!

SN-Madman
12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah, from what I remember, 800 and 900 divs got beat way more than us regular divs. Ship 04 was pretty hardcore.

FutureND
12-25-2012, 09:24 PM
What's HOF?

sweetmtn
12-26-2012, 03:54 PM
What's HOF?

Hall Of Fame...

FutureND
01-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Have you started dive prep yet?

proudnavymom03
01-03-2013, 10:40 PM
is the 800 division also EOD?

JoGoessl
01-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Were any Sea Bee's in 800/900? right now I sent in a DAR for a change to CB and I PT like a MoFo and I will be able to run the physical test at High Peaks.

FutureND
01-04-2013, 06:01 AM
800 divisions have all spec war/ops recruits. 900 division I different as it has the musicians and drill recruits. I don't think Seabees are in 800 divisions.

JoGoessl
01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks, by the time I get to bootcamp hopefully my DAR goes thru and can be changed to a CB rate, and I'm going to work my ass off to get RCPO/RLPO.

Jeremy
01-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi, I didn't sign my contract for navy SWCC but thats exactly what i plpan on becoming after bootcamp. Can I get into the 800 division during bootcamp even though my contract is for something else.

FutureND
01-05-2013, 09:12 AM
I would recommend taking the pst and trying to get a swcc contract before you ship, that is the only way to guarantee you will be given a shot at it. It is extremely hard to switch to spec war once you are in the fleet. Talk to your recruiter about getting set up with your local spec war mentor.

Jeremy
01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
So your saying that I can change my contract from what is now to a contract with SWCC before I leave for bootcamp ?

FutureND
01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Yes, that is how you get a spec war/op contract (that's how I dot a diver contract). You go to MEPS and sign a contract for another job, which you did already. Then talk to your recruiter and tell them you want to do the pst and get a swcc contract. You will have to go take the pst with your area mentor and all the other spec war deppers (we do our pst every other week). Once you get qualifying scores you will be put into a draft with all other people wanting a swcc contract. Twice a month they have drafts where they pick the top scores (the number of people they pick for each draft changes) if you are picked then you will be offered a swcc contract. You will have to sign a new contract and will get a new ship date.

camfurr
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
@FutureND I don't start dive prep until next week. For now I have base indoc, which sucks. I'll be sure to fill you in with everything that happens. For now, I know that we're gonna be a pretty condensed class, and we're gonna have BECC for like 3 weeks instead of the normal 4 weeks, and then the next week is pool week. And @Jeremy, you're gonna have to wait to try to go SWCC. I'd recommend volunteering in bootcamp if you can. If you can't get it in bootcamp, you're gonna have to wait until you get to your first command to try to switch over. The reason you can't right now is because you're past your 45 day mark. I have a friend who's going SWCC, he's in BCT right now.

FutureND
01-07-2013, 07:18 PM
What type of stuff are you learning in indoc? Are you having to pt on your own or with the class? I there time to work out and get some time in the pool?

camfurr
01-11-2013, 03:14 PM
What type of stuff are you learning in indoc? Are you having to pt on your own or with the class? I there time to work out and get some time in the pool?

Indoc is basically a bootcamp review. And yeah, we have to PT on our own. You get out at 5:30 usually, and after that you can hit up chow and go to the pool and do whatever.