PDA

View Full Version : Food in boot camp

SDtech
12-24-2012, 12:20 PM
What kind of food is there in boot camp for breakfast lunch and dinner? Is it any good?

cakers00
12-24-2012, 03:54 PM
I have heard from my multitude of friends that have been within the past year that it is some of the best food you will get. Now A and C school food is a different story

Haasino
12-24-2012, 04:54 PM
It's not bad... they contract with the same company that provides food services for the Illinois State Prisons; whatever the prisoners don't eat, they send to RTC!

sweetmtn
12-24-2012, 06:33 PM
According to my son and DIL...the food at boot is great...but on the ship is a WHOLE different story when you get to fleet!

DonaldBrown
12-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Breakfast is almost the same every day. Eggs( scrambled and hard boiled), hash brown, pancake or waffle, and usually sausage. Then they have the fruit bar which has cereal, pay meal and bagels. Every once in awhile they will have French toast or biscuit and gravy.

hellokitty
12-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Is it like buffet style where you take what you want or prison style where they give you plated food? I'd be throwing out the eggs every day :p

AVSailor
12-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Food is pretty amazing there.

Buffet style and then and then u have a salad like bar and pop machine and cereal and milk and all that jazz lol.

You'll never go hungry. Plus u have choices.

TrooperTaff
01-02-2013, 11:38 PM
food in boot was sooo good. I gained alot of weight. now in the fleet i forget to eat lol

dhmielke
01-12-2013, 07:39 AM
French toast breakfast is the best meal. It's every 4th day too haha. Any of the Italian meals are good quality too...stay away from the pre packaged sandwiches though.

cakers00
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
My best friend (reservist that went through a year and half ago) says the food is great but when you first arrive you are on the USS Pearl Harbor during your P-days and that ship has the best food out of them all.

prop827
01-23-2013, 08:28 AM
At each meal you will have your choice of 2 entrees and 3 sides (You get 1 entree and 2 sides). At Lunch and Dinner there is a salad bar, fruit at breakfast. At all meals there are rolls, sliced bread, water, juice, coffee, and cereal. For dessert at breakfast they give you nutrigrain bars, and lunch and dinner it changes but mostly cookies.

Main Meals rotate (predictably):
Every 2 weeks the meals will rotate through the same meals (every other monday is the same, tuesday, etc)
Wednesday is America Day, one of the options for lunch is ALWAYS Burgers and Fries
Friday is almost always a steak-type option for dinner
Saturday is always Pizza day

If they don't use all the lunch meal, it will be available in addition at dinner until they use it all

Personal Tip: Always grab at least 2-4 slices of bread at lunch and dinner, there's peanut butter and jelly at the tables and you can make yourself a PB&J sandwich if you want or if you decide you don't like the food that night after all.

Also, remember you can't get up and get refills (drinks) or more food or bread or anything, so if you might want it grab it, if you know you won't eat it don't take it.

All divisions have 12 minutes to eat from the time the last person is seated from that division, it goes up to 15 after the division passes battle stations so you have to eat fast. Also, talking is not authorized inside the galley period. When you have finished eating you are expected to take out your recruit guide and study until it is time to leave. You also must face the wall studying while you wait in the chow line. Its a process but you'll fall into it quickly.