PDA

View Full Version : Language problems

daria
12-13-2012, 03:17 AM
hello to everyone! I have lots of questions.
I'm from Russia,so my native language is not English. what do you think,will it be very difficult for me to understand others and for others to understand me while in boot camp or A-school,because i have very specific russian accent?:)
And what about phone calls and letters in boot camp? may i write letters and speak on the phone in my language?

Thank you=)

Malarkey
12-13-2012, 08:07 AM
hello to everyone! I have lots of questions.
I'm from Russia,so my native language is not English. what do you think,will it be very difficult for me to understand others and for others to understand me while in boot camp or A-school,because i have very specific russian accent?:)
And what about phone calls and letters in boot camp? may i write letters and speak on the phone in my language?

Thank you=)

Hello there!

First things first, are you a United States citizen? I'm not even entirely sure the Navy will take you if you're not. I'd look it up for you real quick but I'm at work and the internet filter won't let me.

As for yor questions, your level of understanding will honestly be up to you and the people you talk to. I don't know what rate you are, but if you're AC or something they may have a bit of a issue with a thickly accented person on the radio...who knows though. When you get to boot camp, you may be requred to go to classes to improve your english. I've heard they're EXTREMELY useful and good for you, so it certainly can't hurt! As for phone calls, you're given one 15-second call to home to let your parents know you're okay. After that you might get two more phone calls the whole time you're there. I'm sure they won't mind if you speak Russian, hehe. The letters though might be another deal. The RDC's read through them and if they're in another language, they're going to have to get a translator and that might put a wrench in things. I'm bilingual, and I would probably write them in English just to make things easier and less likely to get hung up and never delivered. /shrug

Haasino
12-13-2012, 08:54 AM
First things first, are you a United States citizen? I'm not even entirely sure the Navy will take you if you're not. I'd look it up for you real quick but I'm at work and the internet filter won't let me.

They will, as long as you're immigration status is in order... we had a few recruits in my division take their citizenship test while in basic.

LENNY0861
12-13-2012, 09:24 AM
I dont think they can read your letters but I might be wrong:What:

FutureND
12-13-2012, 09:26 AM
They will, as long as you're immigration status is in order... we had a few recruits in my division take their citizenship test while in basic.

From the profile info, Daria has already been to MEPS and has a job, so obviously the citizenship is not in question nor is it a concern.

daria
12-14-2012, 01:39 AM
From the profile info, Daria has already been to MEPS and has a job, so obviously the citizenship is not in question nor is it a concern.

Yes,i'm permanent resident:)

jdAECF
12-15-2012, 03:09 AM
you will take you citizenship test and everything while there. we had a Korean and a Nigerian fellow become citizens while in boot camp...

as far as the language barrier...

I did se someone get set back because they weren't nearly as fluent in English as they should have been. but as long as you can understand English you will be fine. I know many a sailor here in A school who have very thick accents (including Russian).

and you can make phone calls in whatever language you want, and they cannot read you mail.

good luck!

daria
12-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Thank you so much!

daria
12-15-2012, 11:59 AM
May i send letters to Russia while in boot camp?

krystaljoycee
12-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I have an accent too and that's one of my concerns. So I definitely understand what you feel right now. I'm worried that I won't be able to understand what they say especially with the slang words and American accents.
I felt so relieved I didn't go through that "Language Barrier" thing

when are you shipping?

daria
12-16-2012, 01:18 AM
I have an accent too and that's one of my concerns. So I definitely understand what you feel right now. I'm worried that I won't be able to understand what they say especially with the slang words and American accents.
I felt so relieved I didn't go through that "Language Barrier" thing

when are you shipping?

Absolutely agree with you. All these stuff make me feel nervous.I don't want to look like a fool,if i can't understand what they want from me.

my shipping date is february,but i have to finish University,so it will be changed.
What is yours?

krystaljoycee
12-16-2012, 12:22 PM
I knowww.. but I'm gonna try my best not to be nervous and just pay attention to the petty officer.

I'm shipping on May