PDA

View Full Version : Going to boot camp with some fat.

depper1190
11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
I leave for boot camp in a week and I still have some fat around my stomach. I'm not over the weight by any means. 5'10" currently 170lbs (I believe the max weight for my height is 191). I can do all of the running, push-ups, and sit-ups required. I still look fat though. I depped in at 163 and I did put on some weight but some of it was muscle. Is this going to be a problem in boot camp?

FutureND
11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
As long as you are under your weight max and can do well on the pft then it will not be an issue.

F/S-MARodriguez
11-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Pffft dude you're better off than 73% of the people who will be there with you.

aharris
11-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeahhhhhh, I'm going next week 7 lbs over my max and an aversion to running. It'll be fun.

culp7
11-27-2012, 05:24 PM
I leave for boot camp in a week and I still have some fat around my stomach. I'm not over the weight by any means. 5'10" currently 170lbs (I believe the max weight for my height is 191). I can do all of the running, push-ups, and sit-ups required. I still look fat though. I depped in at 163 and I did put on some weight but some of it was muscle. Is this going to be a problem in boot camp?

Your good bro! I'm 70" and 170 also. Not a ounce of fat though. If you got the run down you are golden.

sweetmtn
11-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Yeahhhhhh, I'm going next week 7 lbs over my max and an aversion to running. It'll be fun.

If you are over your max, are you sure your recruiter will let you ship? They must weigh and measure you just prior to being shipped, generally the night before..I HAVE seen deppers held back being over even as little as 5 pounds. Plus you will be weighed again at MEPS before you get your full clearance to ship.

aharris
11-28-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm way under on my percentage because I play rugby and I'm big on weightlifting. My recruiter has assured me I won't have a problem but I don't trust him that much so I guess I'll just see what happens on Tuesday. I'm a female if that makes any difference.

F/S-MARodriguez
11-28-2012, 07:47 AM
The body fat measurement is there for a reason. My max is 206 and I'm at 199 right now so I'm ok but when I was sitting around 211-215 my BF% was at 18% so I was still good. You only have to meet either the weight standard or the BF% standard, not both.

aharris
11-28-2012, 12:59 PM
The body fat measurement is there for a reason. My max is 206 and I'm at 199 right now so I'm ok but when I was sitting around 211-215 my BF% was at 18% so I was still good. You only have to meet either the weight standard or the BF% standard, not both.

Thanks for making me feel better. I started worrying for a bit haha. I'm going to keep pushing to lose more until I ship, but it's a lot easier to do without all that stressful thinking!

Bahrke
11-28-2012, 05:12 PM
You can definitely ship overweight. I am 10 lbs over mine and fine. It's the body fat percentage that matters. 22% is the golden number

aharris
11-28-2012, 06:41 PM
You can definitely ship overweight. I am 10 lbs over mine and fine. It's the body fat percentage that matters. 22% is the golden number

Yup, and 33% for females.

cakers00
12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
I know when I go to boot in 97 days (excited it is under 100 now) that I will still have some fat on me. I've been on the heavier side since I was around 10 yrs old. But I have lost about 50lbs or so to join the navy. When I depped in I was 8lbs over my max weight but was sitting right at the 33% (I think they can sign you at 36% b/c they know you have time to lose it) Well the holidays and being sick have caught up with me. I know I have time to lose it and more but I still kind of worry how well I really will do. I dont want to be the 'fat' one at boot. I am not worried about pushups or situps b/c I know I can push myself when I am 'competing' but I suck at running. I have done two 5k's in the past month or so and although I walked parts of them, I ran the first 1.5-2 miles. I run on a treadmill now that it is cold out but it's so boring that I have a hard time pushing myself past a mile. But I am doing a mile at about 9:30 pace.

One of my best friends who is an HM in Japan told me that there are actually very few people that are in shape when you get to boot (she was one of them lol) and that so many cant even do a pushup. Hearing that helps me not worry as much. I guess as long as we all commit to push ourselves a little more each day and keep our focus on why we are doing it then we will be a great contribution to America's Navy.

sorry I sometimes tend to ramble -_-

AVSailor
12-27-2012, 03:42 PM

I've put about 5-8 lbs on since i deped in. As long as u are underweight (and not on the line) its fine. U will lose a lot then anyways. Don't you worry!

breybrad
12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
how many push-ups do you have to do to pass the pt test when you get there can do the sit-ups and running, but i cant do push-ups

Lancaster
12-27-2012, 06:51 PM
how many push-ups do you have to do to pass the pt test when you get there can do the sit-ups and running, but i cant do push-ups

It depends on your age group - If you can do 60 push-ups in 2 mins then you won't fail

LT Guppy
12-27-2012, 06:54 PM

http://navy-prt.com/

teresaawifew/?
01-22-2013, 04:21 PM
My husband has been losing weight for a year, in attempts to join the navy. He has lost 80lbs but still needs to lose about 20 more. However he is just a few inches away from beimg able to get in on measurments. Is there any advice that could help him get over this plateau and/or lose the last couple of inches? Also he can not do very many push-ups, what should he do to get better at those?

maggio1994
01-23-2013, 02:57 AM
For the weight part all I can say is to stay focused, I've never had to lose weight. There was a guy in my DEP pool that lost something like 110 pounds to get in.

For pushups just do them every day. My RDC would make us do pyramids which is where you do this:

1 pushup
few second break
2 pushuos
few second break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break
break

Some of the guys would do as many pushups as they could once an hour every day

dascolbert
01-23-2013, 07:09 AM
My husband has been losing weight for a year, in attempts to join the navy. He has lost 80lbs but still needs to lose about 20 more. However he is just a few inches away from beimg able to get in on measurments. Is there any advice that could help him get over this plateau and/or lose the last couple of inches? Also he can not do very many push-ups, what should he do to get better at those?

I'm not sure if you are aware, but 1lb is equal to 3,500 calories. Daily life burns calories in and of itself. Since July I have been walking a mile a day(248 calories/4mph), and I've lost 40 lbs, 223-183. Drink water.

I also eat right: I eat dinner no later than 6, because soon after your body slows down for the day and stores it as fat. None to little saturated fat(you'll consume more than you realize), meaning fat free milk. Butter has I think 6.5g, 20%DV, saturated fat per tablespoon. Use Pam to grease cookware instead of butter. Low sodium broths, low sugar intake. Drink water.

Losing weight helps with doing more PT. Personally I could only do 5 pushups in July. I can do 25 now, so I have a lot to go. If he does more now than he used to do he WILL get stronger. Drink water.

Good job to him and good luck!

PS. Drink water.

teresaawifew/?
01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Thank you for the advice. I will telling what you said. :-) this was much apperciated.

cocastar
01-27-2013, 12:38 AM
I didn't know that you were allowed to ship overweight either. I have been at a constant 5 lbs under my max weight and that seemed to make my recruiters very nervous. At each monthly meeting they would ask me what I'm doing to loose weight and that they would feel more comfortable if I was 10lbs under my max.

I got measured once a month and I'm at 30% BMI so I'm good to go!