PDA

View Full Version : dental question

Brian
11-09-2012, 10:49 PM
i know ive asked about dental before but, i realized recently i actualy have an impacted molar. Will that disqaulify me in Boot camp?

sweetmtn
11-09-2012, 10:57 PM
It shouldnt...they will probably pull it like the wisdom teeth.

Brian
11-09-2012, 11:01 PM
thanks! i believe you answered my other question too haha. youve been a great deal of help to me and i really appreciate it!

AnnaGB
11-09-2012, 11:12 PM
I have an impacted wisdom tooth. I was told that it might just take longer to get removed depending on how complicated it's positioning is.

LSsquillace
11-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I have an impacted wisdom tooth. I was told that it might just take longer to get removed depending on how complicated it's positioning is.
All 4 of my wisdom teeth will never grow out of my gums, they run into my molars, they can only be surgically removed, will they at bootcamp?

AnnaGB
11-14-2012, 12:35 PM
All 4 of my wisdom teeth will never grow out of my gums, they run into my molars, they can only be surgically removed, will they at bootcamp?

From everything people have told me, they still will take them out unless the position is really complicated and will take longer to remove. Then they have you wait until A-School or something like that.

LSsquillace
11-14-2012, 01:47 PM
From everything people have told me, they still will take them out unless the position is really complicated and will take longer to remove. Then they have you wait until A-School or something like that.

Okay because i feel like I won't be to ready to do basic with still being groggy from surgery

AnnaGB
11-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Okay because i feel like I won't be to ready to do basic with still being groggy from surgery

They give you a couple of days SIQ if you get them taken out

LSsquillace
11-14-2012, 05:45 PM
They give you a couple of days SIQ if you get them taken out

Okay, what SIQ?

LT Guppy
11-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Okay, what SIQ?

Sick in Quarters. You're not allowed to leave your rack except for meals.

And for most dental work you will be wide awake, so no need to worry about being drowsy from anesthesia.

AnnaGB
11-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Okay, what SIQ?

sick in quarters. they will have you stay in bed for a couple days with some pain meds and whatnot

LSsquillace
11-14-2012, 06:22 PM
sick in quarters. they will have you stay in bed for a couple days with some pain meds and whatnot

Even durin surgery they won't put you on pain numbing stuff?

LT Guppy
11-14-2012, 06:26 PM

You'll get local anesthesia (rather than general) during the procedure. And then Ibuprofen is the Navy's pain killer of choice for a couple days afterwards.

AnnaGB
11-14-2012, 06:32 PM

lol I feel like cutting open gums and taking out teeth without local anesthetic would be like a form of torture or something

LSsquillace
11-14-2012, 07:55 PM
lol I feel like cutting open gums and taking out teeth without local anesthetic would be like a form of torture or something

That why I was scared lol

Jjw1125
11-15-2012, 06:04 AM
You'll get local anesthesia (rather than general) during the procedure. And then Ibuprofen is the Navy's pain killer of choice for a couple days afterwards.

Ibuprofen? I thought you got something stronger than that for the pain.. Ouch.. lol

LSsquillace
11-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Ibuprofen? I thought you got something stronger than that for the pain.. Ouch.. lol

I'm just hoping they decide not to pull em..

culp7
11-15-2012, 09:50 AM

Lol they will very likely pull em...

LSsquillace
11-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Lol they will very likely pull em...

Great, boots gonna suck at first..

LT Guppy
11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Great, boots gonna suck at first..

Really, it's not that bad...

LSsquillace
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM

Even after surgery?/: I'll make the best of it

LT Guppy
11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Even after surgery?/: I'll make the best of it

Maybe I just have a high pain tolerance? I've had my wisdom teeth out and 3 knee surgeries. I've never taken anything stronger than low dose ibuprofen (80mg). I think the navy gives you 500mg ibuprofen.

LSsquillace
11-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Maybe I just have a high pain tolerance? I've had my wisdom teeth out and 3 knee surgeries. I've never taken anything stronger than low dose ibuprofen (80mg). I think the navy gives you 500mg ibuprofen.

Yeah I haven't had many surgeries or anything like that so my body isn't use to it...

AnnaGB
11-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Yea, trust me I am the biggest baby with dental stuff. It freaks me out. But I have confidence that they aren't going to do anything to us without it being tried and true. We are at boot camp for a reason, to learn how to be sailors. If taking out wisdom teeth posed problems that compromised our training in a significant way, they wouldn't do it at bootcamp. We will all be fine! Haha

LSsquillace
11-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Yea, trust me I am the biggest baby with dental stuff. It freaks me out. But I have confidence that they aren't going to do anything to us without it being tried and true. We are at boot camp for a reason, to learn how to be sailors. If taking out wisdom teeth posed problems that compromised our training in a significant way, they wouldn't do it at bootcamp. We will all be fine! Haha

You're right that was reassuring, thanks!(:

AnnaGB
11-15-2012, 11:02 PM
You're right that was reassuring, thanks!(:

Haha, thanks I do my best. I'm also trying to convince myself at the same time though :P

LSsquillace
11-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Haha, thanks I do my best. I'm also trying to convince myself at the same time though :P

But you have a point, the whole purpose of bootcamp is to make you a sailor, they won't set you up for failure.

cttaef21
11-16-2012, 07:57 AM
If you have teeth pulled, you will get a couple days worth of hydrocodone(vicodin basically)

LSsquillace
11-16-2012, 01:27 PM
If you have teeth pulled, you will get a couple days worth of hydrocodone(vicodin basically)

Ok, not worried as much now.

CB
12-29-2012, 10:55 AM
My brother had his wisdom teeth pulled out while in boot camp and he was in bed for 2 days. It didn't hurt as much as he expected. :) If you tell the dentist that your wisdom tooth isn't bothering you, you might get the option of waiting til after boot camp. At least, that's what two of my friends said.

SN-Madman
12-30-2012, 12:42 AM

lol I HATE the dentist - but trust me - I had several cavities filled and you get to be QUITE ecstatic about the opportunity to get out of the compartment and lower your chance of being IT'd, PT'd, cleaning, or some of the boring stuff you have to do.