PDA

View Full Version : small concern

zackthespartan
10-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm probably thinking too much but I should still express this.

Even though I've been pretty physically active my whole life, I've never been injured before (no broken bones, torn muscles/ligaments, etc). But it's fair to say the PT sessions at RTC will be more rigorous than anything I've ever done before, and we have PT 5 days per week, correct?

I'm just afraid of getting an injury at RTC that could derail my potential career in the service. What measures do the RDCs take to prevent injury during PT?

LT Guppy
10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Just remember that they are there to see you succeed. They're not trying to hurt you or make you give up, unless you have already given up on yourself.

The OIC from my NRD told us to be sure we're stretching every night when we go to bed to help avoid injury.

cttaef21
10-23-2012, 07:02 PM
If you have been physically active your whole life, then I don't think the PT sessions will be all that rigorous....The IT sessions can be rigorous, but in regards to scheduled PT, it wasn't really bad at all...Just work on flexibility and you should be fine

HolcombCTT
10-23-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm probably thinking too much but I should still express this.

Even though I've been pretty physically active my whole life, I've never been injured before (no broken bones, torn muscles/ligaments, etc). But it's fair to say the PT sessions at RTC will be more rigorous than anything I've ever done before, and we have PT 5 days per week, correct?

I'm just afraid of getting an injury at RTC that could derail my potential career in the service. What measures do the RDCs take to prevent injury during PT?

I literally laughed out loud at this statement. I was in your shoes about what to expect physically from boot camp. (Played ball my whole life) But that shit is a joke, the way I put it is if you are in shape, you will be outta shape by the time boot is all done. And if you outta shape you'll be in somewhat type of shape when it's through.

Don't strees it at all. PT is like 45 mins of bs exercises and whatnot. Watch out for the galley monsters though (cookies, Rice Krispies, brownies) haha

prop827
10-24-2012, 06:25 PM
You'll be fine. The PT will rarely cause any injury, especially if you have been active your whole life. RDCs have been trained to be able to PT you and in RDC C School, they get beat down and PT'd harder than any recruit on that base so they know EXACTLY what beating your body up feels like and they recognize the symptoms of pushing too hard before you get hurt. There is a lot of training that goes into getting that red rope and they will not hurt you during PT. Just remember, whatever your RDC has you doing, they got it worse. They know the limits your body can endure, they'll push you but you will not get hurt. Its as much mental as physical really.

As for the inshape out of shape joke, I think its true. I went into boot in great shape (I was doing P90X before the navy) and when I left boot, I was not in as good shape overall (though I think I had more muscle mass in my arms after, but my abs weren't as good as they were before....). That's only because they are working you out while monitoring the WEAKEST link, so if you are strong in PT you'll stop well before exhaustion.

jhampton002
10-31-2012, 09:47 PM
The PT isn't really that intense. It's the IT sessions that sucks cause you are doing them in your NWUs and boots haha.

tcmartin1994
11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
A few weeks ago in DEP we got to talk to someone who just got out of A-school who was stopping by the local NRS. He said they only did PT 3 times a week and ran a mile and a half only once a week. Could be different with RDCs and how well the division does on it's first PFA. Cause from my understanding, the point of the first PFA is to see what the division needs to work on physically.