PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth

AnnaGB
10-05-2012, 01:33 AM
I've kind of been freaking out lately about my wisdom teeth. I wanted to get them taken out before I leave but my recruiter strongly suggested that I didn't because if there are any complications after the surgery it could push back my ship date. I've heard that sometimes they take them out at boot camp... Which quite frankly scares me... like a lot. I am very afraid of dentists and always take very good care of my teeth because of it. None of them have emerged yet. One is just barely, and I mean barely starting to.

I had an oral surgeon consult like a year and a half ago to see how immediate the need was for me to have them removed and he didn't seem to think they were an immediate issue. One of them is impacted, he said it will never be able to come in on its own... Should be removed eventually though.

Enough rambling about my teeth, my question is this: do they remove wisdom teeth that haven't emerged yet? If they do, do they put you to sleep? I seriously have crazy anxiety about oral surgery. The idea of being awake while they cut up my gums freaks me out. Having teeth taken out at all scares me. Bleh.

Tracy
10-05-2012, 07:28 AM
From what I understand, they almost always take them out at bootcamp so that they're done and won't cause a problem while out on deployment or something. I was worried about it myself for my son. If they had to be done, I wanted it done here at home, but found out he has none...no worries there :)

warehimer33
10-05-2012, 08:13 AM
It'd be much better to get them out at RTC. They put you asleep there. There's a chance that the oral surgeon you go to in the civilian world wouldn't put you asleep. And those numbing shots don't really work, trust me, I had my bottoms out awake and the shots weren't working. Not pleasant. I hate that I'm probably going to have my tops out at RTC but I am all for it because they put you asleep and you'll be SIQ(Sick In Quarters) for like 2-3 days with pain meds and really only have to get out of your rack to like eat and hygiene and stuff. So yeah, you should WANT them to take them out in RTC. The pain after isn't too bad, you'll get pain pills that help immensely. I was playing trumpet like 4 days after mine were out... Not too bad.

LT Guppy
10-05-2012, 09:00 AM
It'd be much better to get them out at RTC. They put you asleep there. There's a chance that the oral surgeon you go to in the civilian world wouldn't put you asleep. And those numbing shots don't really work, trust me, I had my bottoms out awake and the shots weren't working. Not pleasant. I hate that I'm probably going to have my tops out at RTC but I am all for it because they put you asleep and you'll be SIQ(Sick In Quarters) for like 2-3 days with pain meds and really only have to get out of your rack to like eat and hygiene and stuff. So yeah, you should WANT them to take them out in RTC. The pain after isn't too bad, you'll get pain pills that help immensely. I was playing trumpet like 4 days after mine were out... Not too bad.

They won't necessarily put you asleep to take out your wisdom teeth... I actually think it's relatively uncommon.

warehimer33
10-05-2012, 09:24 AM
They won't necessarily put you asleep to take out your wisdom teeth... I actually think it's relatively uncommon.

Well I'm pretty sure they'll give us gas. I did it with just the Novocaine shots and it was hell. I heard someone that recently went through RTC said it wasn't bad. But I haven't actually been to RTC myself so I was just telling them what I know :)

sweetmtn
10-05-2012, 10:08 AM
From what my son and his friend told me..no, they will not put you to sleep...as far as gas...they didnt know, but doubted it.

LT Guppy
10-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Well I'm pretty sure they'll give us gas. I did it with just the Novocaine shots and it was hell. I heard someone that recently went through RTC said it wasn't bad. But I haven't actually been to RTC myself so I was just telling them what I know :)

From what my son and his friend told me..no, they will not put you to sleep...as far as gas...they didnt know, but doubted it.

My husband was wide awake too when he had teeth pulled at RTC. And only got one day SIQ.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled while awake too (civilian dentist), and didn't think it was that bad. The sound is the worst part.

Bossnutz
10-05-2012, 11:01 AM
You remind me of my roommate at MEPS. He dropped out because he had to give a blood sample.
Not trying to be mean but MAN UP! The military isn't designed for scarey ppl, actually ive seen way too many of them in my DEP meetings. Maybe its because im a little older but still c'mon, how can you fight for your country and be scared of a tooth.

AnnaGB
10-05-2012, 12:09 PM
You remind me of my roommate at MEPS. He dropped out because he had to give a blood sample.
Not trying to be mean but MAN UP! The military isn't designed for scarey ppl, actually ive seen way too many of them in my DEP meetings. Maybe its because im a little older but still c'mon, how can you fight for your country and be scared of a tooth.

Everybody has fears. I would never drop out because I'm afraid of having my wisdom teeth taken out. The point of this forum is to ask questions about any concerns or things you don't know about. There is nothing wrong with me wanting to have my questions answered. I had no problems at MEPS. Thanks though.

To everybody else, thank you. It is more reassuring to have people tell me that yes, I will probably be awake, but really it isn't that bad than to have someone tell me I'm not good enough to fight for my country.

Bossnutz
10-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Didn't mean to upset u. I forgot to mention that I have to get all 4 wisdom teeth pulled, plus im afraid of heights lol. Your post just reminded me of my roommate and I assumed you didnt want to join because of your teeth. Im sure you'll be fine without gas, we all feel like a sense of accomplishment once we conquer our fears. Good luck man

AnnaGB
10-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Didn't mean to upset u. I forgot to mention that I have to get all 4 wisdom teeth pulled, plus im afraid of heights lol. Your post just reminded me of my roommate and I assumed you didnt want to join because of your teeth. Im sure you'll be fine without gas, we all feel like a sense of accomplishment once we conquer our fears. Good luck man

It's ok. In all reality 20 years from now I highly doubt my life will be shaped by me getting my wisdom teeth taken out, it's just something that worries me now. Oh, and I'm not a "man" I am a proud navy female :P

JaxSailor22
10-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Some misinformation and conjecture floating around on this thread. I graduated in July and had all four of my wisdom teeth removed. Before anything is done you will receive a comprehensive exam and you will be told what your situation is. Some people will not have any teeth removed. Some will have one or two, and some will have all wisdom teeth removed. In almost all cases you will be given a local anesthetic to numb the area to be operated on. I've never heard of anyone getting gas, and you will only be put completely under in extreme circumstances. Two guys in my div. were put under because they were older ( around 30) and their teeth had a bit more complications than everyone else. The surgery is quick and your recovery will be just as quick, you'll be just fine. Good luck and see you in the fleet!

Deegy15
10-06-2012, 09:31 AM
The surgery is quick and your recovery will be just as quick, you'll be just fine. Good luck and see you in the fleet!

this thing kills me lol.
all 4 of mines might needed to remove ..

my recruiter told me aswell
that ..if im going to do it before bootcamp
they will have alot of bs will be needed like "paper works" , medical history ...blah balh stufffs lol
and hey man..its free at the bootcamp!

AnnaGB
10-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Some misinformation and conjecture floating around on this thread. I graduated in July and had all four of my wisdom teeth removed. Before anything is done you will receive a comprehensive exam and you will be told what your situation is. Some people will not have any teeth removed. Some will have one or two, and some will have all wisdom teeth removed. In almost all cases you will be given a local anesthetic to numb the area to be operated on. I've never heard of anyone getting gas, and you will only be put completely under in extreme circumstances. Two guys in my div. were put under because they were older ( around 30) and their teeth had a bit more complications than everyone else. The surgery is quick and your recovery will be just as quick, you'll be just fine. Good luck and see you in the fleet!

Ok this is very helpful! Ha, this is the reassurance I have been looking for! I've just been afraid of some horror story dentist perched over me with a hammer and some pliers and laughing menacingly. It's good to know that they will at least talk to us about what's going on before they do it. Ha!

USNavsailor
10-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Short and sweet:

If your wisdom teeth haven't grown in at all they won't cut them out of your face.. If they are out, you will get them pulled. They don't put you to sleep, they numb you up real good, put a towel over your eyes and pull them. It's really not that bad I had 3 pulled. They send you on your way and you get 2 SIQ days and an LLD day on medication .. It wasn't as bad as people talk it up to be!