PDA

View Full Version : Discharged from Bootcamp(Marines) for medical resons, is the Navy an option?

bigsis25
09-28-2012, 01:51 AM
So looking for information trying to helo my youngest brother. He enlisted last year in the marines. He went to boot camp, got sick and it was discovered he has asthma. This was a complete shock as he is very active, runs over 10 miles a day, played on his HS baseball team and just an active person in general. He had never had any symptoms of Asthma of any kind .

So basically he was discharged from boot camp after about a month. He's been devastated with the whole situation, its been his dream to join the military. Now after a little over a year he keeps getting advice that he can join the Navy. Some claim to have know/n people who are in the Navy with Asthma. His condition is so very minor where they had to check him more then once just to see that he had it, when checked by his own doctors.

Any chance he can join the Navy, or any service in the military? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks :)

LT Guppy
09-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Unfortunately, Im pretty sure the rule in no asthma past your 13th birthday.

sweetmtn
09-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I think I can MAYBE help you with this one...his problem will depend on his re-enlistment code on his DD214 he got from the Marines.. My oldest son that is in the Army was a Marine first. He was discharged for medical reasons as well...BUT he had a re-enlistment code that would allow him to come back providing he could PROVE he did not have the problem the Marines claimed he did. He decided he didnt want the Marines after that experience and went Army, he has promoted very fast there and is very well liked and respected.
What I need to help you is the code on his DD214, if you post it for me I can go from there. But to start, he may have to get several doctors to back him up and have pulmonary tests done...but the code will tell me if it is even possible or not. I will also need what it says in the narrative as to the reason for discharge...