PDA

View Full Version : Boot camp through A-School money spending?

F/S-MARodriguez
09-18-2012, 11:53 AM
My question is exactly how much money does a sailor usually spend per check in bootcamp/A-school? I know in boot camp you get charged for the seabag which is about $400 out of your first check. Are there any other meaningful expenses during boot camp not counting pictures or yearbooks?

What about A-School? Any significant expenses there? Also, should you expect to be able to do things like visit the Alamo (MA A-School) or basically just go out with friends while in A-School?

LT Guppy
09-18-2012, 12:55 PM
In bootcamp the biggest thing is your seabag. $400 sounds low to me (on the officer side our seabags cost closer to $1200, but I don't know what it costs on the enlisted side. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea for you)

In A-School, it's really just your personal expenses. Internet/cellphone, if you go into town on weekends, that sort of thing.

After the first couple weekends, you will have weekend liberty (if you don't have duty) where you can go off base or just hang out.

F/S-MARodriguez
09-18-2012, 01:06 PM
In bootcamp the biggest thing is your seabag. $400 sounds low to me (on the officer side our seabags cost closer to $1200, but I don't know what it costs on the enlisted side. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea for you)

In A-School, it's really just your personal expenses. Internet/cellphone, if you go into town on weekends, that sort of thing.

After the first couple weekends, you will have weekend liberty (if you don't have duty) where you can go off base or just hang out.

I've heard so many different things about the seabag. I heard $100, $600, $800, free, costs $600 but they give you a $1000 allowance for it. I'm gonna try to find an official source on the price.

USNavsailor
09-18-2012, 10:25 PM
For your Seabag you're looking at around 6/700 if you're male and closer to 8/900 if female.. You pay it off through 2-3 checks, and as for "a" school... You spend money on things to perfect your uniform like shirt stays, backing for ribbons, extra shirts, etc.. Plus food to keep in your room, you have to pay for wifi usually if you want it.. Things like that.

cttaef21
09-19-2012, 12:10 AM
For your Seabag you're looking at around 6/700 if you're male and closer to 8/900 if female.. You pay it off through 2-3 checks, and as for "a" school... You spend money on things to perfect your uniform like shirt stays, backing for ribbons, extra shirts, etc.. Plus food to keep in your room, you have to pay for wifi usually if you want it.. Things like that.
All that is spent your first few days in "A" school...Once you have liberty, if you are single, you spend money on entertainment and food...Some people here like there entertainment a little more than others...Are you still phase one? What barracks are you in?

HMPrz
01-08-2013, 02:42 AM
My question is exactly how much money does a sailor usually spend per check in bootcamp/A-school? I know in boot camp you get charged for the seabag which is about $400 out of your first check. Are there any other meaningful expenses during boot camp not counting pictures or yearbooks?

What about A-School? Any significant expenses there? Also, should you expect to be able to do things like visit the Alamo (MA A-School) or basically just go out with friends while in A-School?

Recruits receive an initial uniform allowance of $1,157.21 for men and $1,371.69 for women. The sailor never sees the money, it goes directly to pay for the uniforms and is recorded as a credit and debt on the pay record.

The uniform allowance pays for the "sailor's seabag" which consists of four sets of Navy Working Uniforms (aka "digis"), two Navy coveralls, one pair of boots, one set of PT gear (sweats and shorts/t-shirt), two sets of tan and black Navy Service Uniforms (aka "peanut butters"), two sets of dress white uniforms (polyester), one dress blue uniform (wool), one pair of dress shoes, a pea coat, a rain coat with liner, an NSU parka with liner, and a seabag. Women also receive skirts for each service and dress uniform, a "combination cover” (dress hat) and a set of uniform dress pumps (for wear with skirts), which is why they get a higher allowance.:cheers::cheers:

kforbs126
01-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Recruits receive an initial uniform allowance of $1,157.21 for men and $1,371.69 for women. The sailor never sees the money, it goes directly to pay for the uniforms and is recorded as a credit and debt on the pay record.

The uniform allowance pays for the "sailor's seabag" which consists of four sets of Navy Working Uniforms (aka "digis"), two Navy coveralls, one pair of boots, one set of PT gear (sweats and shorts/t-shirt), two sets of tan and black Navy Service Uniforms (aka "peanut butters"), two sets of dress white uniforms (polyester), one dress blue uniform (wool), one pair of dress shoes, a pea coat, a rain coat with liner, an NSU parka with liner, and a seabag. Women also receive skirts for each service and dress uniform, a "combination cover” (dress hat) and a set of uniform dress pumps (for wear with skirts), which is why they get a higher allowance.:cheers::cheers:

Women do not get skirts or heels. Those are very optional items that you'd have to buy on your own. The reason it's higher is because our dress blues cost more.

jdAECF
01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
you will see about 700 dollars disappear. there is no big allowance. you get 100 dollars a year

kforbs126
01-09-2013, 09:25 PM
you will see about 700 dollars disappear. there is no big allowance. you get 100 dollars a year

That's incorrect you get a partial allowance up till your third year when you actually received your full clothing allowance.

Zachml7
03-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm still really confused about how much does or doesn't get taken out

cire
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm still really confused about how much does or doesn't get taken out

Your pay for it in boot camp. You won't see the amount. It doesn't matter how much it is you will never see it. You will get money in boot camp that you can use to buy things at the store.. it's from your paycheck.. so the less you buy in boot camp, the more you will come out with. If you are an E1, you are going to get paid crap.. try to save your money.

After boot camp, there really is no reason for you to buy new uniforms for a couple of years unless you lose a ton of weight or make chief in 3-4 years which won't happen.

You will get new uniform allowances I think either every year or every couple of years I forget.. it's good enough to buy a couple of new uniforms but that's about it.

As far as A school, you might be able to get off base.. take a taxi or if you know someone in town who has a car.. but at great lakes I think most people stayed on base because there was so many things to do there.

E-nothings get paid crap.. try to save your money if you can.

prop827
03-20-2013, 02:43 PM
In bootcamp, initial issue is around 700. In a-school the only things you may HAVE to buy is 3 ring binders, pens, paper things like that, maybe $50 total assuming you don't find some old free hand me downs from graduating students.

What you may WANT to buy in A School is a totally different story. Computers, TVs, Xboxes, Phones, Food, WiFi for your room, extra uniform things (shirt stays, chlorframs, new ribbons when yours get dirty or extra sets so you don't have to move them from uniform to uniform anymore), Alcoholic beverages (if over 21), movies, music, shopping, civilian clothes, the list goes on and on. But those aren't required. If you wanted you could eat at the galley every day and do nothing but what you did in boot camp all day and save your whole check if you wanted, but somehow I don't think you'll do that. There's no added expenses on the navy side but I'm sure you'll find a way to spend that check...

cire
03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
What you may WANT to buy in A School is a totally different story. Computers, TVs, Xboxes, Phones, Food, WiFi for your room, extra uniform things (shirt stays, chlorframs, new ribbons when yours get dirty or extra sets so you don't have to move them from uniform to uniform anymore),

I actually would recommend getting a shirt stay, they are very cheap and very helpful. They are also good if you strap it to your bedsheets and it will keep your bed sheets VERY nice looking.

Chloroframs are great, however I would not recommend anyone getting them until you actually get stationed on shore duty.. they are not wearable on ships or subs and probably not in an air squadron.