PDA

View Full Version : Information

bdmahl
09-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Hey I just finished basic about two months ago. So if you have ANY questions about what may happen, let me know! I'm in Monterey now studying to be a CTI, so I know a couple of things and I'd love to help out.

rocky112
09-13-2012, 12:03 AM
I've got a few for you about the background interviews at MEPS and RTC.

I joined DEP back in March before I had taken the DLAB or met with a classifier to buy a CTI contract. I had an interview with an OPM investigator in April to clear up my foreign travel history and information about my wife and her family. It's all Japan-related and legitimate, so nothing raised any red flags.

Well, I got T-boned by some jerk who ran a red light back in May who wound up taking me to court. I finally got the decision in my favor last week and fortunately he can't appeal since he was the plaintiff. I've given my recruiters copies of the decision and was planning on bringing copies to MEPS and RTC.

My question is, do they go over your SF-86 at MEPS or while at RTC, because I specifically remember a section about civil action.

I just wouldn't want this idiot to ruin my chances at being a CTI since learning languages is just about all my brain seems interested in doing. Sorry about the long post, but any input you could provide would be great.

bdmahl
09-14-2012, 05:33 PM
They'll go over in depth with you about your SF-86 at basic. You'll meet with a security clearance interviewer and they'll ask you all of the same questions and you'll get to call home for more information. Then near the end of basic, you'll meet with your personal investigator to go through it all again and give even more references. So have a ton of people's information ready. The accident shouldn't be a problem for you; just bring the paperwork with you to basic. You'll be allowed to keep it.

jzhaun
09-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Just out of curiosity, when did you get your language assignment (I've heard at RTC and I've heard at DLI) and long did you have to wait between PIR and the beginning of classes at DLI?

bdmahl
09-16-2012, 11:25 AM
You'll find out at basic. It's about your third week through that you'll go see a senior chief and you'll talk about Monterey and all of your options. I'll be honest, it REALLY depends on what is open. If you're hoping for Chinese....you better start praying. It's rare that they have it open. And as far as classes starting, it depends, once again.

I graduated basic in July...wasn't supposed to class up until October, but I classed up in August. People move up all the time.

jzhaun
09-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Well, you see, I found a site online that listed start dates for classes, so I know that there are 3~4 classes of each of the Cat 4 languages starting in March, which is when I'm guessing I'll be there.

I'm still divided over which one I want most, but Chinese would probably be the most useful in the long run (although the rate itself seems overmanned).

culp7
09-28-2012, 09:26 PM
What were the weekends like at RTC

Graff
09-28-2012, 11:08 PM
How much of a factor was your dlab scores when choosing a language? Did they have anything in particular they were pushing to get people for?

Coppertop
09-29-2012, 12:58 AM
What were the weekends like at RTC

They were the worst days since there was no actually training events those days. Of course sunday morning is limited liberty for like uniform maintenance and church, but the rest of sunday and saturday are up to your RDCs. This is usually where you pay for your crimes of the week :P