PDA

View Full Version : Military benefits ~ Civilian benefit ~ What are the Facts?

Craig
09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Lets compare a 20 year old going to college, and a 20 year old going into the Navy.

1. Both are about 4 or 5 years long. So as far as time is concerned, they are both a wash. Both will have their BS or BA after this time.
2. After 4 years in college you will have a huge education bill. In the Navy, if you actually do take college courses, you will leave with zero (0) education cost
3. The Navy will pay for all education while the sailor is in,once they learns your job and have one year at your 1st command.
4. Once you have served her time in the Navy. the sailor can use the education benefits they earned to continue on to her advance degrees (Masters, or Doctorates degree). If they should decide not to use it, then they can pass it along to her children.
4. Your GI bill isn't even touch while you are on active duty. They use the Tuition Assistance (TA) and the Navy pays for your education.
5. When you get out, you have the experience. A college graduate has no experience, and must begin their path to success, which you already have.
6. Not only will the Navy give you the experience, but you will also become a leader.
7. You will get BAH (Housing), my son make $3000 per month in Hawaii for housing. That's $36K per year that civilians.
8. Medical cost most families $7K or more per year. Then they have to pay deductible.
9. Dental - You and your family are free, how much does this cost the college student?
10. BAS (Food allowance) - Yep, yet again we get paid extra for food. Do they?
11. Gym - Our gyms are state of the art. They are awesome. We don't pay for them.
12. Vision - Yep free vision
13. 30 days of vacation - Do you, or even your parents or anyone you know get 30 days vacation a year? Even someone with 30 years in a civilain company doesn't get that.
14. Career Sea Pay - More money again that people fail to take into consideration.
15. Clothing Maintenance Allowance - Do civilian companies pay for your uniforms? Nope....
16.. Government subsidized grocery store (commissary) - Our grocery stores are non-profit. We get things extremely cheap. 1 Gallon of milk in Hawaii in the economy = $11, and at the commissary $2.
17. Extremely cheap life insurance ($20 for $200K worth of coverage)
18. Legal (notaries, advise) - Free
19. Tax free shopping (Exchange)
20. Annual Cost of Living adjustments (~3.5%)
21. Moving expenses
22. You can retire at age 38.... Get paid $1800mo for life
23. Burial for life for you and spouse ($10K x 2), plus child if under 21
24. When retired, Free or near free heath benefits for life (you and spouse, and children under 21 or 23 of going to college). As a retired guy, I pay an option coverage and pay $510 per year for my whole family. Most civilians pay that every month.
25. VA home loans. Cheap interest rates, no money down.
26. The list just goes on and on. People just fail to realize what we (the Navy) truly get. Yes, college may seem good, but lets face it, you are much better if you join the Navy.

Man, I should be a recruiter huh?

llamayamaa
09-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Sorry, but this post is a little biased. As someone who went through college (for both my Bachelors and Masters) BEFORE enlisting, I can honestly say it was the right choice and I wouldn't have done it any other way. I can 100% guarantee that without my college degrees I would not have been qualified for my job as an MU (plus, the Navy is paying back my student loans anyway). College education isn't for everyone, and getting a degree before enlisting in the Navy isn't the right track for everyone, but I would strongly encourage high school graduates to consider all their options and not just go for whatever gives you the most money. I guess it's something that the recruiter and I will never see eye to eye on.

Ok, rant over =)

F/S-MARodriguez
09-12-2012, 07:25 AM
I have to agree that while it is ALL true, a lot isn't realistic. If a sailor needs to be at his command for 1 year before beginning school, it's extremely unrealistic to have a BS or BA done in 3 years while being constantly deployed and taking 1-3 classes per semester. Let's say a sailor like myself (20-21 Y/O) gets an associates degree BEFORE enlisting though a BA/BS is achievable in those 4 years. If all goes well I'll get out of the Navy at 26 with a Bachelors degree and experience in a field directly related to my degree. (Criminal Justice/MA)

Also with #13 many civilian companies give 30 days. I had 30 days vacation the instant I began working with my current company.

However these are pretty menial facts compared to the big picture. You forgot to mention the incredible Credit Union Navy sailors can join, Navy Federal (Opened my account yesterday) and what about the DIRT CHEAP auto insurance with USAA?

Or how about the simple fact that a student who loves college is getting out in 4-8 years no matter what, where as a sailor who loves the Navy can stay as long as he wants?

kforbs126
09-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Also the Navy through TA does not pay for all your schooling. FY13 they have cut TA from 4500 to 1500 a year. Most military friendly colleges make it $250 per credit 3 credits per class. Which is about 6 classes to 2 classes per year. Since i just finished my Master's but when i came in i already had a lot of credit towards it. Also not everyone who goes to college has huge debt. I had a full ride and didn't pay anything except for books. I would not give up going to college for the Navy any day. The Navy isn't the same it was 20 years ago. Heck from what I hear it's not the same it was 10 years ago.

sweetmtn
09-12-2012, 01:41 PM
I will chime in on this one as well...having 2 kids in the military...for active duty you are only required to go to the base doctors...and in both my sons cases..that experience has NOT been a good one! Vision is not covered for the family on TriCare, and if you cant find a doctor or dentist that covers TriCare in the area you are stationed...lets say not on a ship but inland somewhere...good luck finding a doctor/dentist that will take it. .... just saying...