PDA

View Full Version : What to take to rtc

Patdmcma
08-20-2012, 12:30 AM
i know alot of people say that you cant take anything because it gets sent home in "THE BOX" but I'm curious about a couple of things was wondering if any of you might know and can help me with it so here are the ones I'm curious about
1. a religious medal- i here some say you can and some say you cant
2. a bible - this is the one im most curious on if you can bring it what size does it have to be?
any help would be greatly appreciated
Future sailor McCarthy

Tracy
08-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Everything I've read says you can take a Bible and write addresses in it somewhere to eliminate the need for an address book. Haven't heard the size but my sons is about 4x6. Not too big, not too small. Don't know about the medal.

FutureND
08-20-2012, 06:25 AM
You can bring a religious medal as long as it is no larger that a dog tag

Bingle
08-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I just graduated on the 10th, you can bring both. The medal has to be the same size as or small than your id tags to be allowed to wear it, with that being said you could just keep it in your draw if you have one that you're attached to that is bigger.

Patdmcma
08-21-2012, 06:06 PM
I just graduated on the 10th, you can bring both. The medal has to be the same size as or small than your id tags to be allowed to wear it, with that being said you could just keep it in your draw if you have one that you're attached to that is bigger.

what about the bible i was looking at one on amazon thats called the sailors bible

F.S.Richerson
08-24-2012, 11:16 AM
they have bibles that will fit the regulations at MEPS, it's just Psalms Proverbs and the New Testament though so I guess technically it isn't a bible. but it's pocket sized and my recruiter says they have them at RTC as well but I find it hard to believe. you have to go to MEPS right before you ship anyway though so just grab one then if you can

Patdmcma
08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
they have bibles that will fit the regulations at MEPS, it's just Psalms Proverbs and the New Testament though so I guess technically it isn't a bible. but it's pocket sized and my recruiter says they have them at RTC as well but I find it hard to believe. you have to go to MEPS right before you ship anyway though so just grab one then if you can

i dont know if my meps has them

phractus
08-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Do we have to actually write in the bible or can we write on 3x5 cards and stick them in the front? What would you guys (and gals!) recommend?

Anything else we should bring that I might be missing? It's getting close and don't want to miss anything

stevebw
08-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Do we have to actually write in the bible or can we write on 3x5 cards and stick them in the front? What would you guys (and gals!) recommend?

Anything else we should bring that I might be missing? It's getting close and don't want to miss anything

You could tape the index card on the inside cover so it won't fall out.
Bring a simple wallet so it can hold your SS card, phone card, and money.
If you're not sure if you can bring it with you, it's best to just leave it at home.

i dont know if my meps has them

No, I believe they don't either.

Patdmcma
08-24-2012, 11:32 PM
So that means I'll have to look around some more

F.S.Richerson
08-25-2012, 11:58 AM
you need your actual SS card, correct?

sweetmtn
08-25-2012, 01:30 PM
you need your actual SS card, correct?

YES.

Laworlo
08-26-2012, 07:07 AM
With the Bible. If you don't want to bring one, on your first Sunday Holiday Ruitine, you can go to the Chapel and they will give you one for free. You cannot have a large Bible. It will be placed in the second compartment above your Blue Jacket Manuel. It must be smaller than that. So I would say NO larger than a 5x6 book. If it looks like it can fit in your A&B Drawer, your RDC will make you put it in that. I am not certain whether the Bible they give you for free in the Chapel is the Hebrew Canon and New Testament or just the New Testament but it's free, and digital camo!

Religious medallions are allowed. They must be kept in your A&B drawer. At least with my RDC's, recruits that wished to have them were not allowed to wear them, no matter what size. That might vary by RDC. But I know you can physically bring them to Boot.

Make sure if you have information on note cards that you tape them into the book. Otherwise that's "Gear Adrift" and that will not go over so well for you. Keep in mind that works with everything in Boot Camp. No books, Trainee Guide or BJM are authorized to have loose papers. You will get beat for that. I knew people in my division that got individual IT for over an hour because of it. That goes for anything though too. Everything has a specific place. Do NOT deviate from it. Make sure everything goes back to wear it is supposed to be, always.

F.S.Richerson
08-26-2012, 01:33 PM
With the Bible. If you don't want to bring one, on your first Sunday Holiday Ruitine, you can go to the Chapel and they will give you one for free. You cannot have a large Bible. It will be placed in the second compartment above your Blue Jacket Manuel. It must be smaller than that. So I would say NO larger than a 5x6 book. If it looks like it can fit in your A&B Drawer, your RDC will make you put it in that. I am not certain whether the Bible they give you for free in the Chapel is the Hebrew Canon and New Testament or just the New Testament but it's free, and digital camo!

Religious medallions are allowed. They must be kept in your A&B drawer. At least with my RDC's, recruits that wished to have them were not allowed to wear them, no matter what size. That might vary by RDC. But I know you can physically bring them to Boot.

Make sure if you have information on note cards that you tape them into the book. Otherwise that's "Gear Adrift" and that will not go over so well for you. Keep in mind that works with everything in Boot Camp. No books, Trainee Guide or BJM are authorized to have loose papers. You will get beat for that. I knew people in my division that got individual IT for over an hour because of it. That goes for anything though too. Everything has a specific place. Do NOT deviate from it. Make sure everything goes back to wear it is supposed to be, always.
the blue digi bible they give you for free is Psalms, Proverbs and the New Testament

stevebw
09-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Random question:

Does anyone know if deodorant is given or do you bring your own?

mfarr13
09-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Random question:

Does anyone know if deodorant is given or do you bring your own?

You will be given one (i.e. you will be given one and the cost will be deducted from your first pay check) at RTC. This will be part of your 'ditty bag' that contains all the necessary essentials (i.e. toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, etc).