PDA

View Full Version : Coffee at bootcamp

camfurr
08-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if they offer coffee at boot camp. I'm gonna be in one of the 800 div, and from what I've read, we start every morning with a swim at 0430. I usually start my day off with a nice warm cup of coffee and a run at about 0630, and normally the coffee comes before the run. I wanted to know if I'm aloud to have coffee when I first wake up.

LT Guppy
08-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Don't count on it.

warehimer33
08-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I heard there is coffee but most recruits stay away from it because it's so gross. And I heard it's black coffee too.

sweetmtn
08-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Remember..they want you HYDRATED before physical activity...coffee actually does the reverse....you will most likely have to drink WATER.

jdAECF
08-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah I wouldn't think so. It's probabily not even on the menu for breakfast. Caffeine is a drug, remember :p

LENNY0861
08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
caffeine is also in cola, but you can have that cant you or is it restricted in boot camp

Navy_Melone
08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I have recently talked to a sailor who made it through bootcamp at the end of June and she said 'Yes' there is coffee. But, it is decaf.

As stated above there is no caffeine for you to get your hands on at boot camp. As soon as i heard this i cut all caffeine from diet and dealt with the headaches now. If you don't know 'Most' not 'All' people that have daily consumption of caffeine will experience very painful headaches around 24-48 hours of not having caffeine in their system. They usually last from a few days to upto two weeks in most cases i have heard.

Boot camp is gonna be stressful enough, for me when i experienced the caffeine withdrawal headache, it was one of the worse headaches i have ever experienced.

But back on topic, also eating is not one of the first things we do. A lot of times there is an early morning PT we do first anyways, so getting the morning cup like you are use to will not happen. I know this because another sailor tipped me to stretch right when i get up because they would sometimes be running 20 minutes after they awoke.

Hope this helps.

JaxSailor22
08-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Lot of misconceptions going around, so heres what I experienced. Coffee is offered, and you may have it during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There are two types; Kona blend, and Kona strong ( neither of which are all that great). As for it being straight black- you can put sugar and milk in it to make it passable for coffee. It's not the best, but for bootcamp it worked for me!

AVSailor
08-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Hey! I was just there so i can answer it :)

Depends on your RDC's. My bf drank coffee every single morning. I didn't touch it. There is a coke machine (only diet pop and juices like powerade in it) and i litteraly only hit powerade and water. My rdcs didn't allow you to drink pop. And then there was a juice machine (oj/apple/etc) you could have that. And then there was a coffee machine (hot water/coco/coffee) and i didn't even touch it because i didnt wanna get yelled at. And then there is a milk machine thing. Hot water is for tea or oatmeal and milk is for drinking or cereal. Which u can have at any meal.

Its a good layout. I was just to afraid to touch it. My rdcs were kinda evil

FutureND
08-12-2012, 06:08 PM
So out of all of the answers, there was only one from someone who has been there. It's good to know that there will be coffee, though I will probably do my best to get off of caffeine before I leave. I am a coffee every morning drinker, not any sodas really, and I know it will probably be rough for a few days but it will pay off to "kick the habit" before I leave.

JaxSailor22
08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Not to be that guy, but there were responses from a few people that have actually been there. Once you arrive at RTC, you'll find that many things you thought you'd be concerned with (like coffee) will never even cross your mind.

kforbs126
08-12-2012, 06:35 PM
There's definitely coffee but it tasted like shit. Tried it twice but never went back. I drank 1 glass of water and 1 glass of Sprite Zero every meal. Our RDC's didn't care what we did.

LT Guppy
08-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Not to be that guy, but there were responses from a few people that have actually been there. Once you arrive at RTC, you'll find that many things you thought you'd be concerned with (like coffee) will never even cross your mind.

Agreed. And not having been there doesn't necessarily mean people don't know what they're talking about.

FutureND
08-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Jax - as I don't personally know anyone on here all I can do is go by the user profile. You are active duty so you have been there and avsailor has been there as she is past military. That being said, those are the opinions I would go off of because they have personal experience. I would rather get my advice from those who have been there and done that rather than those who have heard this or that.

Laworlo
08-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes, the coffee is there, but sucks. In fact, one of the lyrics to one of the cadences is as follows: "They say that in the Navy the Coffee's mighty fine, it looks like muddy water and tastes like turpentine!"

Bingle
08-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Well you wont be able to get it before your work out since you're in a 800 division. Chow doesn't start until 0545, so theres the problem. As far as the coffee goes, I didn't try it when I was there, but other said it was nasty and or it was decaf.

bbrandon92
08-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Uh I was just there, yes they have coffee, the rumor is that it is decaf but I dont think so, I had it a couple times felt my little caffine buzz, and there is milk and sugar to put in it.