PDA

View Full Version : Going to boot camp in a couple of months. AM SO NERVOUS!

maha556677
06-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Hey, I went to MEPS today and I got MMN and will be leaving for boot camp in November. I'm so nervous! This is weird but I am only nervous about one thing in boot camp and that is concerning the heads.
Will having to go to the bathroom like 3 times a day be a big deal? I normally have about 3-4 BM's a day and all my doctors say it's completely normal so I know it's not DQ'ing. I just want to know if I will be able to go to the bathroom when I need to. And I go especially when I nervous so this will factor in to my 3-4 a day. This is extremely embarrassing but I HAVE to ask so I know what I got myself in to. Will this really be a problem or is the whole thing about people getting stomach bugs and drinking tons of water making people go about every hour(a little exaggerated) true? I don't know who to listen to so I came on here because I think they'll be understanding. Sorry for the long question(s) but I HAD to ask. Thanks!

sweetmtn
06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
First let me say WELCOME ABOARD...as far as drinking lots of water at boot, yes, they make you stay hydrated very well, but not over doing it. I asked my son and going to the head 3 times a day was not a problem, as many went to empty their bladder!
Nice going in as a nuke, my son was an MMnuke, but when he went to boot he was just a nuke, you get your actual rate(ET, EM or MM) as a nuke while in boot...most times you get what you want, but many times it is the needs of the navy and what they feel you are better at. My son is out now and working the private sector doing basically what he did in the navy, but now he makes WAY more $$$.

cbell88
06-15-2012, 04:09 PM
hey there! I am currently in Nuke A-School (going on 11th week of classes as an ET).

You have NOTHING to worry about as far as head calls go. The first two days will be insane and you won't have quite as much leeway to go; but, after that it's not a big deal at all.

During classes, the way it typically works is: if you have to go, you just get up quietly and hand your pen to your master at arms (he/she will be seated in the back). Then you go do your business, and come back quietly, retrieve your pen, and take your seat.

Every instructor is a little different about their rules, but in general that's how it goes. Just don't disrupt anything and you're golden.

Outside of class, you have PLENTY of opportunities for a "pump and dump" (Little bit of RDC jargon for ya ;) )

Even during the craziness of Battlestations, they make sure you can go when you need to.

After boot camp, during your stay at NF A-School, you have 50 minute classes with 5 or 10 minute head breaks in between! So it's not a big deal there either.

maha556677
06-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Okay good! I'm just nervous that they won't let me go but I've done research and people said it's not a problem. I can't wait to go into the fleet as a Nuke!

Darrin
06-16-2012, 09:23 PM
What day do you go to RTC? I leave November 14 also as a Nuke

dhmielke
06-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Congrats! I have a question though. They offered you MM(N) on the spot at MEPS? I signed my NF contract last week but picking MM was not offered...and my DEP is till April 2nd!

cbell88
06-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Congrats! I have a question though. They offered you MM(N) on the spot at MEPS? I signed my NF contract last week but picking MM was not offered...and my DEP is till April 2nd!

MEPs cannot and will not offer you ET, EM, or MM.

That selection is done during your 3rd or so week of bootcamp.

It's mostly dependent on your ASVAB scores and the needs of the Navy versus what you want.

With that being said: I got my first pick without a problem =)

maha556677
06-17-2012, 09:28 PM
I leave in April also. When I took the ASVAB both of my math scores were perfect so they told me I would be acceptable for MMN. It wasn't set in stone that I would be MMN but they told me that they're 99% sure I'll get that.

sweetmtn
06-18-2012, 12:06 AM
I leave in April also. When I took the ASVAB both of my math scores were perfect so they told me I would be acceptable for MMN. It wasn't set in stone that I would be MMN but they told me that they're 99% sure I'll get that.

You qualified for nuke...period. All nuke rates must be absolute in math and have the high ASVAB scores, in all reality, the MM nukes do not need as much math as the ET's or EM's, that is why the MM(n) A school is 3 months shorter than the others! You MIGHT have a choice when it is offered at boot, then again you might not, just the needs of the navy come first and formost.

prop827
06-18-2012, 01:17 PM
They can say that, but you won't know your nuke rate til boot camp is almost over. The thing is that you get to pick your preferences, and then they look at your picks and needs of the navy to assign you a rate as either MM, EM, or ET nuke. In boot, 50% of you will be assigned MM, 30% EM, and 20% ET. If a lot of people want MM, you may not get it. Usually though, most people are gunning for ET (highest reenlistment bonus). When I went through, I requested ET and I got EM. Boy, am I glad to be an EM now in hind sight. Any nuke though is something to be proud of, its a great ride. There's a few of us on here who are nukes, so don't be too shy to ask questions about it, or boot in general. Nukes for some reason love to talk about nuke stuff.

sunshine1994
07-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Lucky i have AECF and I want Nuke i retake the napt in august

khadijahf
09-12-2012, 07:28 AM
I leave in November too!!

AVSailor
09-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I was there in April. If we were in our room/ship/barracks idfr we could go whenever we needed to as long as we werent in the middle of something. We had a 10 min "pump and dump" after every chow. And any time we absolutely HAD TO GO in a classroom or such you just go (ask the MA) the rules are usualy set up before hand. There is no worry. I never had to go to bad because i always found time