PDA

View Full Version : What to Bring to Boot Camp:

flipmom
02-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Because storage space is extremely limited at RTC, recruits should limit the amount of personal effects brought with them.
Luggage must be kept to a maximum of of one small/gym travel bag.

In addition to the clothing worn on the trip, recruits should also bring:
. One pair of prescription glasses, reading glasses or a contact lens kit
with enough solution for the first week.
. Money ( optional, maximum of $25)
. Completed Direct-Deposit Sign-up Standard Form 1199A
(required for proper pay establishment)
Checkbook and ATM card (required for proper pay establishement)
. Marriage Certificate
. Divorce decree
. Copies of dependents' birth certificates (e.g., children, spouse, etc.)
. Small bible, or equivalent religious literature
. Pre-paid phone card

Female recruits may also bring:
. One white sports bras and two white cotton full cup bras
. Eight white cotton briefs
. Sanitary items as required
. Birth control pills, if prescribed
. One conservative, solid color (blue or black) one piece swimsuit

sweetmtn
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM
You should also bring your drivers license and Social Security card as well and maybe a few stamps :roll:
________
Sex clip (http://www.****tube.com/video/12603/amateur-couple-in-homemade-sex-clip)

Logicalchaos02
02-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Good thread! Dont bring any soaps or shampoos or anything. They will give you all of that. They make you get rid of your deodorant, razors etc... They will give you all the stuff you need to shower, shave and smell nice lol.

NavyMom2007
02-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I know the females have brought the items on the list, just to send it all back in "the box." Andrew went with the clothes on his back. You can also send a very small address book or list of addresses to keep in their wallet or Bible. I wrote Andrew a letter and tucked it in his wallet to read until they get mail and when he was feeling homesick. His Division did not get mail for 18 days, so at least he had something to read when he was feeling down and lonely. One of the Moms said that family and friends all wrote something to her son on the inside covers of the Bible. There is a Navy Bible. I got mine from Ebay. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

*Oh, if they take their cell phone, it will come back in the box inside their shoes.

clairehowington
02-12-2012, 01:38 PM
It says in the START guide on what you can and cannot bring. The money amount they give you in the guide is also 50 dollars.

prop827
02-12-2012, 02:29 PM
As a side note, you can bring whatever you want, that's just the stuff that doesn't get sent home in the box. If you want to have your cell phone or iPod for the airport and the flight to RTC, bring them, just know you'll have to put them in the box and ship them home when you get there. I highly recommend you do this because it makes the "hey I made it safe" call a lot easier and affords you the chance to say a last good bye at the airport on your way to check in at the USO. Plus, a plane is very boring without music to me so iPod was necessary. You can't keep them, but at least you can use them on the plane.

As for the rest, its in the START guide, and some of that will even get sent home (like contacts, when I went they had you send them home and set you aside to get glasses the very next day instead of waiting until the rest of the division got them. I had civilian glasses so I got to keep those though, thank goodness).

bdmahl
03-22-2012, 02:41 PM
How big should the address book be? I've heard it has to be pretty small and I think mine is about the same size as a 4x6 photo. Is this too big?

sweetmtn
03-22-2012, 10:22 PM
How big should the address book be? I've heard it has to be pretty small and I think mine is about the same size as a 4x6 photo. Is this too big?

That should be ok, but if you can, find one that is the dimensions of a deck of cards. Your space is very limited and anything you can make smaller is better!

LT Guppy
03-23-2012, 04:03 AM

Make sure it actually says "address" on the cover. Otherwise you may have to copy the addresses you need onto a piece of paper and send the book in your box home.

Nuke Guy
03-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Make sure it actually says "address" on the cover. Otherwise you may have to copy the addresses you need onto a piece of paper and send the book in your box home.

They actually don't check what you have any more, they just line you up behind your boxes and tell you what to put in your sea bag and what to put in the box you ship home. However, be aware that RDC's can do a check in your A+B drawer at any time. If you have anything in your notebook other than approved Navy material (Addresses, Sailor's Creed, General Orders, Chain of Command, etc.), you will have to tear it out and throw it away, and probably get IT'd for it. We had one guy write down a whole bunch of song lyrics and got IT'd for 2 hours and given a bag lunch.

Just make sure you don't have any contraband, and you'll be fine.

As for the size, I personally recommend typing the addresses onto a word document and printing off an address sheet, as it will fold up MUCH smaller than any notebook. Another option is to write addresses on the back of business cards and keep them in your wallet. Space in your drawer really is a very precious thing, and you really don't want any extra stuff in there.

F.S.Richerson
03-25-2012, 12:32 AM
What about orthodontic retainers? I have found answers ranging from "they're allowed" to "the fact alone that you have retainers constitutes continuing orthodontic treatment and is disqualifying."

Craig
03-25-2012, 12:51 AM
What about orthodontic retainers? I have found answers ranging from "they're allowed" to "the fact alone that you have retainers constitutes continuing orthodontic treatment and is disqualifying."

Read this:
http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2264