PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp shorter during summer months?

SailorShelby
05-15-2012, 06:45 PM
At my last DEP meeting they had an E3 that came in who was fresh out of A school. She said she went through bootcamp last summer and that it was only 6.5 weeks! She said they shorten the length (cram all the training into a smaller amount of time) during the months when there is the most recruits coming in, which happens to be during the summer. Has anyone else heard about this? I leave July 11th and am wondering if there is a chance this may happen.

Navy_Melone
05-15-2012, 07:05 PM
I heard it can be from 7 weeks to 9 weeks after your pdays.

The reason is to fill up graduation. They probably don't want to do graduation every week.

vabchsue
05-15-2012, 08:04 PM
I find this a little hard to believe - especially the "...only 6.5 weeks?"

sweetmtn
05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Plus the fact that they have done PIR's every week since like, FOREVER!

Nuke Guy
05-15-2012, 09:18 PM
You can be put in what is called a "push" division. In that case, you will only be at great lakes for 8 weeks, which translates to about 1 1/2 weeks of p-days and 6 1/2 weeks of training. These divisions tend to be the last divisions in a training group to start, and the purpose is to get them finished in time for their TG's graduation date. However, these divisions are formed year-round, not just during the summer.

Plan on being in Great Lakes for 8-10 weeks, including P-days

prop827
05-16-2012, 02:21 PM
The amount of time in training at RTC varies a little, but overall it is the same summer or winter. The factors that change the length are the number of P Days and if you are a push division. Push divisions are either regular divisions that form last or most of the 900 divisions are also push divisions (Staff and State Flags are Push divisions normally, not triple threat).

Laworlo
05-17-2012, 06:54 PM
What are push divisions exactly?

prop827
05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
A Push division is a division that is being pushed through the pipeline at a faster rate than others, so they do all the same evolutions for training, but they do it in less time. They accomplish this by giving you less time to study for exams, and less time to practice for things such as inspections. If you are a push division you are expected to pick things up and learn them faster. While a regular division might get 5 days of mock PI's to prepare, A push division is lucky to get 2 days. The good news is that you graduate boot a little sooner, the bad news is it makes it harder. (But can still be done! I was in a push division).

Laworlo
05-22-2012, 12:38 PM
I think I would prefer to be in a regular division. Sure it may last longer, but I want the extra time to perfect everything and make sure it's just right.