PDA

View Full Version : Think! ~ Other not so well known rules....

Craig
05-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Walking Around Base after PIR (graduation):

· Do not jay walk.

· If walking near a recruit movement area, give way to marching recruits.

· If you, by chance, arrive on base early to meet your freshly minted sailor, do not yell at him/her, walk up to him/her or try to otherwise get their attention. They are not allowed to make contact with their family members until they are officially allowed to do so. Making contact with you when not authorized will get them in serious trouble, up to and including being AMOS'd (set back in training). While on RTC, even if they have already graduated they can be AMOS'd.

· Do not walk or stand on the grass.

· Do not enter restricted/off limits areas. Your sailor will be briefed where you can and cannot go.

Military Etiquette:

As a member of the Navy your new sailor is expected to follow certain rules at all times. Some of these rules apply only while in uniform and others apply in and out of uniform. When visiting your sailor, if you are not sure if something is allowed or proper, ask them first. They will know what should and should not be done. Here are some things to remember:

· Public Display of Affection (PDA): While in uniform PDA (kissing, holding hands, hugging, etc) is generally not allowed with only a few exceptions. This applies both on base and off base. During special events like graduations, homecomings, etc it is allowed, but for only short periods of time. For those of you with small children, your sailor will not be allowed to carry them around while in uniform.

· Reveille/Retreat: Each day military installations hold reveille and retreat ceremonies. It will be signified by music that is played over loud speakers throughout the base. If you are driving in a car, safely pull over to the right and stop your car while it takes place. Remain in your car after it is stopped. If you are outdoors you must stop walking and stand facing the flag if you can see it, or face the sound of the music, if you cannot see the flag. If all else fails, face the same direction as everyone else. Personnel in uniform will salute the entire time of the ceremony.

· When walking with your sailor in uniform, walk on his/her left side. This will keep their right side clear if they have to salute.

· If your sailor is walking with a superior enlisted or Officer, they are required to walk to the left of them, approximately 2 paces back. If you happen to be with your sailor while this is occurring, let them take that position while walking.

· When walking in uniform, your sailor must keep their right hand empty so they will be able to salute if they need to.

· If you have small children in strollers your sailor will not be able to push it around if they are in uniform.

· Your sailor is not allowed to walk around while talking on a cell phone in uniform.

· Your sailor will not be allowed to stand with their hands in their pockets while in uniform.

· Your sailor will not be allowed to eat or drink while walking in uniform.

asailorswife
05-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Reveille/Retreat: Each day military installations hold reveille and retreat ceremonies. It will be signified by music that is played over loud speakers throughout the base. If you are driving in a car, safely pull over to the right and stop your car while it takes place. Remain in your car after it is stopped. If you are outdoors you must stop walking and stand facing the flag if you can see it, or face the sound of the music, if you cannot see the flag. If all else fails, face the same direction as everyone else. Personnel in uniform will salute the entire time of the ceremony.

This one. This one will get you EVERY time. LOL And let me tell you, I have raised my girls to be respectful. We can hear Colors and Taps from where we live, and those two girls KNOW that if they hear it, and are playing outside, they stop WHATEVER they are doing, put their hand over their heart, and either find a flag, or look towards the ships. The same can't be said for all dependents living on a military base, and if you ask me, it's VERY sad. They are some of the only two that will stop swinging, running around, etc, and will just stand in place. However, if you're on the ship side of this base, life comes to a complete standstill during Colors and Taps.

Laworlo
05-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Living here in San Diego, I take my niece up to Disneyland quite often. I generally make it a point to watch their "Lowering of the Flag" ceremony where they have a band come out and former military members and lower the flag and fold it while playing the national anthem each time. It saddens me that 90 percent of the people walking around don't pay it any attention to it and don't stop and face it, or show any respect to it at all. And sometimes people will stop and place their hands over there heart and still chat with the buddy next to them with their hats still on. People need to show respect for the flag in my opinion, and it's said when they don't.