PDA

View Full Version : ~ Your 3rd Navy Test ~

Craig
05-03-2012, 02:33 AM
~ 10 Question Test ~
(posted with permission from NavyDEP.com)

Navy Slang test - Do you think you know the Navy basics?
----------------------------
Rules:
1. These questions are to be answered without the use of the internet. When in boot camp you will not have internet access, neither shall you.
2. You will answer each question. Each questions counts, so it's better to guess than not guess at all.
3. You are required to post the ones you got wrong at the end.
4. The answers are posted below question #10, so when your done, list the questions you got wrong, just to compare with others....No peeking until you complete your test!
5, Remember, this is only for fun. It truly doesn't matter how high you score. What matters is that you learn something about the Navy before boot camp
~ The Test ~
Here is a 10 question test.....
---------------------------

1. John invites you to tour his berthing area so you can see how Sailors live aboard a ship. As you are walking down the passageway, you pass another Sailor. John tells you that "He's still a wog"
What is a wog?

1. A sailor that is a slacker and doesn't get promoted. (WithOut Goals)
2. A sailor how doesn't have a girlfriend (WithOut a Girlfriend)
3. A sailor who hasn't crossed the equator (Pollywog)
4. A new sailor that hasn't proved themselves (Without Guarantee)
--------------------------------------
2. On a ship,
What is a "fantail?"

1. The ships propeller room (the screws that drive the ship)
2. The ship's galley
3. The highest mast on a ship
4. The extreme aft part of the main deck
------------------------------------------
3. What is the Navy SEALs training program called?

a. STP/N
b. BUD/S
c. SPT/S
d. NWWT/S
4. Jack and you are about to leave the ship on liberty. Jack tells you "We better get going, or Chief Jones will have my @ss, He probably wants me to rig Med lights or something."
What purpose do "Med lights" serve?

1. None, they are purely decorative
2. To warn low-flying aircraft
3. To indicate the commanding officer's rank
4. To illuminate the ship's hull number

http://i50.tinypic.com/33yglzk.jpg
5. In which state is the main Navy SEALs training facility based?

a. Massachusetts
b. Virginia
c. California
d. Maryland
----------------------------------------
6. As you leave, you notice the Quarter deck has moved, "The gangway's right over there," says Jack, pointing to a flight of steps leading down to the pier. "When you leave, say hi to Chief Brown for me. He's the OOD."
Who or what is the "OOD?"

1. Officer of the Deck
2. Onboard Officer Designee
3. Officer of the Day
4. Officer of the Detail
7. You’re the new guy on ship, the Weapons officer ask you to measure the barrel length of
the MK45 - 5 inch 54 Caliber gun.
How long will it be?

1. 64 inches (5 feet, 4 inches)
2. 198 inches (16 ½ feet)
3. 270 inches (22 ½ feet)
4. 360 inches (30 feet)

http://i49.tinypic.com/208bmtc.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/dxn3bl.jpg

This is the USS Forest Sherman (DDG-98) when it is test fires it's 5 inch gun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXjshw_eT8
----------------------------------
8. Jerry just checked aboard the ship. His shipmate tells him that the duty is great, but watch out for the Knee-knockers.
What is a “Knee-knocker”?

1. The woman with the biggest breasts on the ship. :shake boobs:
2. A lower lip passageway opening through a bulkhead.
3. It a tool used to put down non-skid decking material, similar to a tool used in laying carpet.
4. It a gun used on the fo'c'sle (the pointy end) of a ship. When it goes off, your knees shake.
-------------------------------------
9. Are women allowed to join the Navy SEALS?

a. Yes
b. No
-------------------------------------
10. During SEAL team log PT, if a boat crew drops thier log, what log do they pick up?

a. "Old Misery"
b. "Big Boy"
c. "The Evil Queen"
d. "Fat Guy"

Here is a picture of that log...

http://i46.tinypic.com/2hnyudv.jpg

~
~~
~~~
~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~
~~
~
~
~ The ANSWERS~
Here is the answers to this 6 question test.....

1. John invites you to tour his berthing area so you can see how Sailors live aboard a ship. As you are walking down the passageway, you pass another Sailor. John tells you that "He's still a wog"
What is a wog?
For the Navymoms that read this:
****** I waffled back and forth if I should post this or not.... I know someone will go talk to a moderator or senior Mom to say their son, daughter, or spouse could be abused. Let me tell you they're not. This is a long tradition that the Navy still allows sailors to do. If any mom needs more clarification, please contact me. Believe me, if someone was truly abused, then it would be in the newspapers nationwide. This is probably the most fun day ANY sailor can have (on both sides, Wogs or Shellbacks). I don't think anything tops a Navy Shellback day and neither will any other sailor you talk to.... Woo-hoo!!!!

Answer~ 3. A sailor who hasn't crossed the equator (Pollywog)
Wog: short for "pollywog", as in "wog ceremony". A wog refers to someone who has not crossed the equator in an official Navy hazing ceremony. Although hazing is technically illegal, the Navy still supports this practice (typically under the watchful eye of the CMC), although it has become relatively benign compared with days of old. Officers and enlisted alike can be targets of this ceremony, run by "shellbacks." According to lore, if the wogs of a ship manage to find and capture the "Jollyroger" (the black skull and crossbones flag) before midnight of the day before the ceremony, then they will get to run the shellbacks through the ceremony. It is not clear if this has ever been done. Officially, any crewmember having previously crossed the equator, whether in the Navy or not, does not have to participate in the ceremony. Unofficially, if said person cannot produce a Shellback Card, that person will participate.
The Shellback make pirate uniforms out of their old crappy clothes, and the wogs do different cleansing station on the ship. Finally when you get done with the stations, you go in front of the "Royal Court". You have King Neptune, His wife (the chosen beauty queen), and others such as the "Royal Baby". When I did mine and traditions says, you had to lick out a maraschino cherry out of the Fattest sailor (The Royal Baby) on the ship who has grease all over his chest. Then to Physically Fit Navy came about, the it was the skinnyest. Now with female serving on ships, I bet there is no more licking. Now that I think about it, maybe this was the precursor to "Don't ask, don't tell"....... Actually, when I think of it, after 124 days at sea, the Filipino beauty queen did really looked hot.... -ha

http://i47.tinypic.com/2vnf0bq.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2dihn6a.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2jb34n6.jpg
--------------------------------------
2. On a ship,
What is a "fantail?"

Answer: 4. The extreme aft part of the main deck
All parts of a ship have names, some of which are in common use, some known only to Sailors. The fantail on is a common place for ceremonies, musters, or to just to take a break...etc.
3. What is the Navy SEALs training program called?

Answer: b. BUD/S
BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition / SEAL School) prepares the toughest, most elite unit of our military. It is among the hardest training in the world. Training in BUD/S takes over a year.
4. Jack and you are about to leave the ship on liberty. Jack tells you "We better get going, or Chief Jones will have my @ss, He probably wants me to rig Med lights or something."
What purpose do "Med lights" serve?

Answer: 1. None, they are purely decorative.
Med lights are lights that are strung from bow to stern, over the highest mast on a ship. They are used only in port. Stringing Med lights was one of the worst duties an Electrician's Mate could pull. It is hard work, because the cables are heavy, have to be spliced together, and all of the lights - hundreds of them - have to be kept lit. They basically make the ship look pretty at night. Having nothing better to do with safety. Most commanding officers are gung-ho about Med lights.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ni9v1g.jpg
5. In which state is the main Navy SEALs training facility based?

Answer: c. California
There are several compounds for Navy SEALs operations in America, but there is only one main complex for the Navy SEALs program which is California.
6. As you leave, you notice the Quarter deck has moved, "The gangway's right over there," says Jack, pointing to a flight of steps leading down to the pier. "When you leave, say hi to Chief Brown for me. He's the OOD."
Who or what is the "OOD?"

Answer: 1. Officer of the Deck
While the Captain of a ship has absolute control of the vessel under his command, he can't be awake and in charge 24/7. When the Captain is not on duty, his functions are performed by the "Officer of the Deck." At sea, this is almost always a commissioned officer, but on smaller ships the function may be filled by an enlisted man while the ship is in port.
7. You’re the new guy on ship, the Weapons officer ask you to measure the barrel length of
the MK45 - 5 inch 54 Caliber gun.
How long will it be?

Answer: 3 - 270 inches (22 ½ feet)
To get barrel length (on any gun), you multiply the diameter of the shell (in this case, 5 inch) by the caliber of the gun (in this case 54 caliber) which will equal 5 x 54 = 270 inches. Technically, the caliber of a rifle (Naval guns are technically rifles) is the ratio between the barrel length and the shell diameter, but the Math works in reverse.
--------------------------------
8. Jerry just checked aboard the ship. His shipmate tells him that the duty is great, but watch out for the Knee-knockers.
What is a “Knee-knocker”?

Answer: 2 A lower lip passageway opening through a bulkhead.
So called because they can wreak havoc on the shins of those new to shipboard life. Man, it really, really hurts. It was actually kind of funny waiting to use the toilets at night. You would look under the stall door to see if it was available, only to see black & blue shins (ie the new guys).

http://i47.tinypic.com/21mdqc1.jpg
9. Are women allowed to join the Navy SEALS?

Answer: b. No
Hollywood has made several movies potraying women in the Navy SEALs, the most famous one I can think of is G.I. Jane. That is completely false. Indeed, women are not allowed in the Navy SEALs program. Don't ask me why.
The Navy SEALs program is not discriminating against the female sex. Navy SEALs has been an all men unit since the World Wars.
Are there women in the world that can take the harsh brutality of this training? Surely yes. Are there women that have the mentality to overcome every obstacle that gets between them and their goal? You bet! But what you don't know is that if women were allowed to join, it would create havoc amongst the Teams. Currently, none of the US Armed Forces allow women to join front-line combat units, including the SEALs or any other special operations unit. The reasons for this are highly controversial. These men have relied on each other in training and in battle, over time they have become brothers and all the Teams are family. Therefore, if you placed one gorgeous women amongst the teams, things would become confusing very fast. Of course, I do not speak for the government on this topic that is entirely my opinion. Once again, this topic is highly controversial.
----------------------------------
10. During log PT, if a boat crew drops thier log, what log do they pick up?

Answer: a. "Old Misery"
If one of the boat crews drops their log (150 pounds) or even hesitates during log PT, they have to pick up "Old Misery", a log that weighs over 250 pounds. They have to lift it up on their shoulders, then lift up and over their heads to bring down on their other shoulder. They do this for quite some time, then they have to slowly put the log in the sand without dropping it, or they have to do the process all over.

http://i50.tinypic.com/v7a074.jpg

Laworlo
05-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I amazingly got all correct. Although I had to guess at the last one. Never heard of that one. Makes me a little glad I'm not going to BUDS.

prop827
05-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Another 100% correct for me. As an interesting note, OOD can sometimes also be "Officer of the Day". Officer of the Deck is on board ship (and in boot since you live in "ships") while Officer of the Day is the exact same watch, but at a shore installation.

NOTE FROM ADMIN: prop827, thanks for pointing that out. I totally screwed that up....

shannoneliz
05-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Got all but #2. :)