PDA

View Full Version : Money right after bootcamp? and liberty

bbrandon92
05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Ive heard right after the graduation ceremony you get liberty to spend the day with your family. So I have 2 questions
1. Will you have access to the money youve earned while at bootcamp?
2. How long is liberty? my ATT is right there at Great lakes (aecf)
Some places ive heard just a few hours, some ive heard until 9pm that night. Ive also heard its overnight if your tech school is on base.

Nuke Guy
05-02-2012, 04:02 PM
After graduation, you will have to go back to y your compartment, pack your sea bag, and catch a bus over to your A school. After you check in there, you will have liberty for the remainder of Saturday and Sunday. The guys from my division who went accross the street for A school were out on liberty by about 3 PM, so they had a few hours on Saturday and then all day Sunday

As for money, if you sign up with Navy Federal, they will set up your direct deposit and deliver your debit card to you in bootcamp. If you are using hometown banking, just bring your current ATM card as well as the account and routing number to set up your direct deposit.

Hope this helped.

Laworlo
05-02-2012, 05:13 PM
So I'm in the same boat as Brandon, AECF. When you get liberty for Saturday and Sunday, do you still have to be back at night? Or can you stay out at night?

Nuke Guy
05-02-2012, 07:09 PM
I can't say for absolute sure, but you almost definitely have to go back at night. I'm 9 weeks into A school in South Carolina, and I'm just now earning overnight liberty on the weekends

kforbs126
05-02-2012, 07:49 PM
That's only for grad and go that you would go across to A school side. I wasn't grad and go and didn't transfer to A school side till the tuesday after grad weekend.

bbrandon92
05-02-2012, 08:48 PM
So I wont get to see my family much on friday?
We are all under the impression that I get liberty.
I better let them know

kforbs126
05-02-2012, 09:30 PM
So I wont get to see my family much on friday?
We are all under the impression that I get liberty.
I better let them know

You should be able to see your family Fri/Sat/Sun. I was able to. Granted that was a while ago but still.

Laworlo
05-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I was under the impression that Grad N Go meant you were flying out to A School. What are some factors that could cause me to go immediately over to A school or wait a few days to walk over?

kforbs126
05-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I was under the impression that Grad N Go meant you were flying out to A School. What are some factors that could cause me to go immediately over to A school or wait a few days to walk over?

Its all up to the orders you get. There are no factors to get grad and go or not.

vabchsue
05-03-2012, 07:41 AM
And from personal experience - orders can be changed at the very last minute as was in Michael's case. He found out very late on Thursday evening he was now a Grad 'N Go and when he left GL basically immediately after PIR, he ended up sitting for days at his A school till till they classed up.

blueberripie
05-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm confused on a couple of points here:

1st ~ I too thought if you were going to A school at GL you were not a Grab n Go. My nephew who graduated in Feb. 2012 was a Grab n Go, he was able to spend Friday afternoon and evening with family, go back to base Friday night by 9pm then he was taken to the airport to go to Dam Neck. His fiancee was able to spend time with him at the airport as she was catching a flight back here to Texas. She got a pic taken of them while at the airport at 3am LOL

2nd ~ Why would you only have a few hours on Saturday to spend with family and then all day Sunday? I know after PIR they have to do their thing(packing, checking in and hurry up and wait) and then they get released and have to check back in by 9pm, but isn't that all done on Friday? What would they be doing on Saturday that they would only get a few hours to spend with family?

Shando11
05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes, I also think there is some confusion. From what I have read. Grad and GO, is for people who are not staying at Great Lake. That is the people who only have Friday after graduation to spend with family. Those who are staying at GL for A school, go directly from PIR to check in at GL A school and then have the weekend to spend (fri,sat,sun) with their family?

vabchsue
05-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Michael wasn't a GNG when we headed to GL. Late Thursday they changed his orders. Instead of staying there for a day or so after PIR, he was leaving immediately for his A school in MS. Bad part was that he actually didn't start school for over a week after he left on Friday. The point is, sometimes things do change and there's nothing you can do about but roll with the punches.

sweetmtn
05-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Sorry, but the only thing you can count on, is you CAN NOT count on anything. Orders change, rules change and things get done last minute in many cases...BUT! GENERALLY, Grad N Go IF your A school is at Great Lakes, COULD mean you will go across the street to your A school, check in there and be able to spend the entire weekend with your family..MAYBE, never for absolute!
If your A school is somewhere where you have to be flown out to go, you MAY or MAYNOT get to spend time with the family, generally I have seen in this case the new sailor only have ONE HOUR with family. In this case it is advised that the family go to the airport and meet their sailor at the USO and spend the time waiting with them for their flight. (this is where you can have your cell phone and laptop!)
Flights out to A schools can be made any time from Friday right after PIR all the way to 7 days after boot. If after boot and after Sunday..the new sailor will STILL be on the bootcamp side and have NO newer privileges, ie: no phone, laptop, etc..UNTIL they arrive at their A school, when ever that may be.
So if your A school is a place to be flown out to and you do NOT have a flight until at least Monday after PIR, you will get Friday after PIR til about 9 at night with family, and again Saturday and Sunday from about 6 in the morning til 9 at night each day with family.
Hope this clears this up some!

Laworlo
05-03-2012, 05:44 PM
That makes complete sense. Thank you!

FutureSailor
05-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Ok here's the deal. I'm at Great Lakes right now. I got here a month ago. After graduation I had about an hour with my family and then I went back to my ship, grabbed my stuff, jumped on the bus, and rode over here across the street. We got dropped off at our barracks, got our room assignment, and dropped our stuff off. Then we had a very short briefing about our liberty rules, marched to the gate, and went with our families. This was all finished around 3pm and we had to be back in our ship by 9:45pm. We also got Saturday and Sunday for liberty but we had to be back on the ship by 10pm every night and our parents had to sign us out every morning. I can't say for certain that that is how it will be for you because rules change all the time. It may be a good possiblilty though cause I'm in one of the FC/ET ships. Hope this helped :)

blueberripie
05-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Ok here's the deal. I'm at Great Lakes right now. I got here a month ago. After graduation I had about an hour with my family and then I went back to my ship, grabbed my stuff, jumped on the bus, and rode over here across the street. We got dropped off at our barracks, got our room assignment, and dropped our stuff off. Then we had a very short briefing about our liberty rules, marched to the gate, and went with our families. This was all finished around 3pm and we had to be back in our ship by 9:45pm. We also got Saturday and Sunday for liberty but we had to be back on the ship by 10pm every night and our parents had to sign us out every morning. I can't say for certain that that is how it will be for you because rules change all the time. It may be a good possiblilty though cause I'm in one of the FC/ET ships. Hope this helped :)

This may sound like an odd question and I'm by no means intending this to sound smart a**, when you say "your parents had to sign you out every morning", what if your married? Then would the spouse have to sign them out?
Thank you FutureSailor!!

I know things can and will change but it's always great to have a general idea of how things could go and then not be too disappointed if they do change at the last minute.

FutureSailor
05-05-2012, 08:10 PM
It's basically whatever family you have that is visiting you for that weekend has to come to the ship and sign you out. If you're married, then yes your spouse can sign for you but it doesn't necessarily have to be your spouse. Let's say that you have other family there too. In that case, any of them can do it. The ship just wants an idea of where you are and who you're with.

jasohman
05-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Hello! I ship out June 6 to bootcamp, is that still your ship date?

Laworlo
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Mine is still June 6th!