PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp PFT Run

Chefdude192
04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Hello! I ship on the 24th and would like to clear up a question about the PFT before I go.

The sit up and push up portions of the test will be no problem for me, but the running is worrying me. When I first started running many months ago, I was unable to do very much. Gradually, I've built myself up to where I can do a mile or so. I'm confident that I'll be able to push myself to be able to at least complete the initial PFT run, even though my time will most likely be terrible. Now comes my question: Will the RDCs be willing to work with you if you're willing to put in the effort? I'm worried that I'll be left behind in the dust.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

ctraggie
04-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Haven't gone through RTC yet, so this is mostly just assumptions (although I have heard some firsthand stories).

If you can come close to passing the overall PFT the first time, you bet they'll work with you. There have been people from my recruiting station who haven't been able to do half of the required pushups and barely finished the run. They're fine now.

Just keep on working at that run, and you should do fine.

prop827
04-11-2012, 07:09 PM
In boot camp you will run. A LOT. They will push you physically and you'll get better for it. Your RDCs want you to pass just as bad as you want to pass. The run is the most common issue for recruits so the routine tends to emphasize that in my opinion. Just work hard and get there.

The best advice: Don't give up! Don't stop and don't walk (walking slows your heart rate and when you're running doing that makes it harder to get started again. ). Try to breathe through your nose as long as you can (prevents over oxygenating your blood which again keeps your heart rate in check and keeps your stamina up). Also, before you run, you need to be drinking LOTS of water all day. If you drink soda or coffee constantly, try to switch to water, it'll help you run better and its better for you. Plus, in boot you don't get soda and coffee is limited. Running the right pace is the most important part to finishing. Just push yourself and push through the discomfort and you can do it!

Chefdude192
04-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it very much! I'm feeling less anxious already.

13 more days! :happyfeet:

I'm looking forward to being surrounded by people in my position and by people who've been in my position in the past. If it's anything like the forums here, it'll be amazing.