PDA

View Full Version : PRT

Arbyz
04-05-2012, 04:45 AM
So i have been training for some time to be able to pass with flying colors the PRT...i have looked at required times and number of curl ups and push ups.

My question is; How much time do i have to do the curl ups and push ups? 2 minutes? 5? 1000? are both done in quick succession?

Laworlo
04-05-2012, 01:09 PM
2 Minutes!

prop827
04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
You will have 2 minutes to complete the curl ups, then your partner gets 2 minutes to do theirs (they count yours and you count theirs) then you have 2 minutes to do your push ups and your partner counts then your partner has 2 minutes to do their push ups and you count. In sit ups, hands must remain on shoulders at all times and in push ups if you remove a hand from the deck or your knee touches the deck you are done, and anything after that won't count. they're really strict about those rules. After the push ups and sit ups you run the mile and a half. You cannot drink water at all from the time warm ups begin until the PFA is complete unless you have sickle cell in which case you get water between events.

icemanclix
04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
You will have 2 minutes to complete the curl ups, then your partner gets 2 minutes to do theirs (they count yours and you count theirs) then you have 2 minutes to do your push ups and your partner counts then your partner has 2 minutes to do their push ups and you count. In sit ups, hands must remain on shoulders at all times and in push ups if you remove a hand from the deck or your knee touches the deck you are done, and anything after that won't count. they're really strict about those rules. After the push ups and sit ups you run the mile and a half. You cannot drink water at all from the time warm ups begin until the PFA is complete unless you have sickle cell in which case you get water between events.

Why don't they let you drink water? And when you do the 1.5 mile run, who times that, your rdc, or one of your shipmates?

Jnewman16
04-05-2012, 03:44 PM
i heard they give you a ankle monitor that records your time and laps.... and do not let your hands come off your shoulders during sit-ups.. they will call muscle failure

Nuke Guy
04-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes, you will get an ankle strap that is hooked to a computer, so it counts your laps as you run them.

Laworlo
04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Sure beats a dude with a clipboard and stopwatch.

sweetmtn
04-06-2012, 01:04 AM
LOL, not always does that ankle monitor work perfect! I know several guys that the monitor missed a lap and they had to run an extra lap in the same amount of time! They think it depends on if and where on the track if you pass someone...It worked out for my son as he was a track runner and did it majorly under the time required. Plus we live at high altitude and that is how he trained, so running at sea level with real air to breath made his run times so much better than he ran here at home.
It was always funny when other schools from the valley had to come to our school up in the mountains to compete..we kicked their A$$e$!

prop827
04-06-2012, 08:21 AM
You wear an ankle strap that records your time in boot (the time is also posted on the walls of the lead runner so you can pace yourself) You need 12 laps in 12:30 (alphas) so if you can do a lap a minute you'll be good. Always run an extra lap in case the sensor misses. If you stop after only 11 laps then you didn't complete the event and fail.

icemanclix
04-06-2012, 11:30 PM
You wear an ankle strap that records your time in boot (the time is also posted on the walls of the lead runner so you can pace yourself) You need 12 laps in 12:30 (alphas) so if you can do a lap a minute you'll be good. Always run an extra lap in case the sensor misses. If you stop after only 11 laps then you didn't complete the event and fail.

If you fail the 3rd prt (the one that counts) how many chances do you Get to pass it? Or is that it if you fail... you fail?

sweetmtn
04-07-2012, 12:13 PM
If you fail the 3rd prt (the one that counts) how many chances do you Get to pass it? Or is that it if you fail... you fail?

Well, that really depends. They "could" send you home with a discharge, however most times they hold you back and keep you there for another week or so(sometimes longer) to try again. So that would suck for your family as you would not graduate with your class....
My best advise is to pass the first one or at least the 2nd so you dont have to worry....

prop827
04-08-2012, 02:20 PM
They usually send you to a fitness program for a few weeks and you continue to work out until you can pass. After a while though if they don't see you making progress they can discharge you. Just keep on trying and get better, that's whats most important.

Arbyz
04-09-2012, 09:36 PM
More on the PRT. I have another question. I have been training for the PRT for some time. mostly cardio since that is where i had the most trouble. Since my ship date was moved up 5 months to the end of this month i don't think i am physically ready for the push ups! I can barely do 10 before i collapse. I have 16 days to train my arms. I don't have a gym membership. Does anyone have some advice to help?

prop827
04-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Do push ups is my advice. Just be ready for a hard time physically, When I went to boot we had someone who couldn't do 10 and he passed his final PFA. You'll get there, just work on it. Planks also help with pushups cause they're about staying up and working the core more than arms.

Arbyz
04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Do push ups is my advice. Just be ready for a hard time physically, When I went to boot we had someone who couldn't do 10 and he passed his final PFA. You'll get there, just work on it. Planks also help with pushups cause they're about staying up and working the core more than arms.

OK thank you for the advice.