PDA

View Full Version : What will cause someone to get kicked out of boot camp?

robwil
03-15-2012, 11:57 PM
My son is going to boot camp in a week. It has been such an ordeal to get accepted. Seemed like one thing after another. The time has come, and he is excited. I want this for him so bad, as does he.

My question is, how many (if any) get kicked out of boot camp? Not counting rebelious recruits.... mainly medical etc. It seems like medical was very intense down at meps.. now I read he will be going through it all again. What are they looking for that they wouldn't already have seen? Is there anything to worry about?

At what point can I relax and know he is going to be ok?

Laworlo
03-16-2012, 01:37 AM
I am curious about this as well...

sweetmtn
03-16-2012, 11:18 AM
There are a number of things...if someone developes asthma, discover an irregular heart beat, headaches that dont go away, injuries that prevent you from completing PT even after extra time given(yes they can roll you over to continue with the next class), gain too much weight, find any other health issue that wasnt found prior to boot..there are many reasons and I am sure someone else can add to this.

prop827
03-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Any number of things can get a recruit rolled back (ASMO'd it's called), but the number one reason for ASMO is discipline and/or not following instructions properly. Rebellious will most definitely get a recruit an ASMO, or failing mandatory evolutions and retests is also an automatic ASMO as I recall. As for medical, MEPS really does a good job, so I wouldn't fret about that, the main medical issues are when they discover something new wrong when you show up, like if you tried to hide asthma or an irregular heartbeat, etc. All that said, I still say that medical is not your friend in boot camp. In my division one guy went to sick call and they separated him because the corpsmen was like, you can't be here in the navy, you're cross-eyed (but MEPS let him through somehow). On the other hand, I know people who were switching between LLD (Light Limited Duty - no PT or marching or physical anything) and SIQ (Sick in Quarters - you can't leave your rack except for head calls) from week 1 or 2 of boot all the way until the day before the final PFA for battle stations and they graduated on time. I don't know how but they did. All and all though, don't stress about it, MEPS is usually pretty good about screening, most ASMO's are by RDC's not medical. And even so, what can you really do? You're going to boot and you're going to go through the pipeline, if medical flags you, they flag you. Don't get worked up about it, just work hard and get through it!!!

Craig
03-16-2012, 11:46 PM
prop827 - Did you see more people get booted for standing up at "the moment of truth" or on medicals? Seems like more people are at the moment of truth to me. God knows just people stand up....

prop827
03-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Moment of truth, most definitely! Stand up there and never saw those guys ever again. Ever.

BKinsman
03-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Amazes me that people get that far and then chose not to go through with it. Psychologically I can understand and even my own personal experience. But even with that it boggles my mind now.

Not related overmuch but my first time away from home to work at Mackinaw Island for the summer I gave up. The day I got there. Unexpected problems but nothing I couldn't have handled and overcame. It's one of the things I regret most. Having given up and not done it. Have since used that for strength and I don't give up anymore. Traveled a helluva lot farther than that in stranger places and overcome so much more. That desire to never again regret an opportunity lost.

Would suck for that lesson for others to be something as important and life changing as the military. To balk at that last step.

sweetmtn
03-17-2012, 02:25 PM
One thing to know, if you really tick off an RDC, they can have you medical-ed out as well...they will just label the recruit as ADD, ADHD,(claiming it was never disclosed) or even Intermittent Explosive Disorder(like if you show any signs of a temper)...I know of a few people that this has happened to and not just in the navy. The RDC's just write it up and send you to medical where they really dont have a clue on mental issues and just submit it....and with those types of claims, the re-entry code is usually RE4, which means they can NEVER go back into any military branch ever again. I only know of ONE person that got an RE3 and is now serving but went to a different branch of service after NUMEROUS waivers!
Another problem is not disclosing debts owed, when this is found out, your gone!