PDA

View Full Version : Shaving my head bald before bootcamp

Beau.B
09-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I used to always shave my head with a razor, (only because it's thinning, etc on top), I stopped doing that awhile back just because I got lazy.

I was thinking about doing it again, but I wasn't sure how it would go over in bootcamp since I leave in 26 days.

Anyone know of any bald guys in bootcamp?

-Beau

LT Guppy
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I used to always shave my head with a razor, (only because it's thinning, etc on top), I stopped doing that awhile back just because I got lazy.

I was thinking about doing it again, but I wasn't sure how it would go over in bootcamp since I leave in 26 days.

Anyone know of any bald guys in bootcamp?

-Beau

... All of them?

:)

Beau.B
09-07-2011, 01:49 PM
LOL

I'm just curious if I would attract unwanted attention by having my head shaved clean when I got to RTC.

sweetmtn
09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I would say not to at this point..UNLESS your head is tan enough so it doesnt look like you just did it. In many cases it does make you stand out and bring unwanted attention....some guys have had long hair and such and do that prior to leaving thinking it will help them fit in, but in reality, the RDC's come down harder on them to see just how they really are...just my opinion, and what my son told me what happened to some in his division when he went several years ago.

Beau.B
09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Good to know, I guess I'll just keep it really short like I already do.

Thanks for the replies!

vabchsue
09-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I thought that they shave off most of it when they get there?

sweetmtn
09-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I thought that they shave off most of it when they get there?

They will...however, the RDC's watch VERY closely when the new recruits get off the bus and take notes on what each looks like and how they appear and what they are wearing...baggy pants, looking like a total slob, shaggy hair, or just shaved bald showing a very pale head compared to the rest of their face. Looks do make a difference when they arrive, I had my boys wear nice jeans, a polo shirt, and clean shoes..they have always had VERY short hair, so they went with their normal hair cuts. Justin was picked for the 900 division for the navy and asked to be a Navy Honor Guard and Clay was picked as the leader at his army boot, then picked to become Honor Guard for the Old Guard at Arlington as he came already looking "squared away", as that MOS is picked at boot very early.

vabchsue
09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Michael's always kept his short...until recently. He's being allowed to let it go a bit longer these days and he's happy about that. :rofl:

sweetmtn
09-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Michael's always kept his short...until recently. He's being allowed to let it go a bit longer these days and he's happy about that. :rofl:

Funny...Justin all his life had a "high and tight" hair cut, shoot, he had his first flat top at age 2! But since being out of the navy now and working, he let is grow a bit, then after 2 months counldnt stand it and cut it short again! :rofl: just as short and neat like he was still in the navy, and the power plant he works at doesnt care how long or short it is!

vabchsue
09-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Michael was always keeping it pretty short, then would go through a spurt of slightly longer, then it went much shorter for a long time. With what he's doing now he's keeping it a bit longer cause he can. :roll:

Beau.B
09-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Back in high school, (has it really been 12 years already?), I had long hair that went about half way down my shoulder blades. My senior year I cut it short, and nowadays I can't stand it when it starts to grow out. Even .25" is too long for me, I can't stand it.

Though now that my hair is thinning, it looks really weird (to me at least) when it starts to grow out.

-Beau