PDA

View Full Version : START guide, and the test you take at RTC

Beau.B
08-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm nearly done memorizing everything in the start guide for the PQS at the end of it. I just have a couple of questions.

Under topic 2 of the PQS, Navy Core Values, it just says:

a. Define Honor.
b. Define Courage.
c. Define Commitment.

Now do they want the multi-bullet paragraph long definition of each that appears in the start guide, or do they want a definition of each in your own words?

What answer do they look for on the test at RTC?

I just want to make sure that I am focusing on the right things. I have no problem memorizing the long definitions, I'm just curious.

Thanks everyone!

-Beau

Craig
08-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Beau - In you own words. You can't be expected to memorize that whole paragraph(s).

Beau.B
08-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Awesome, thanks again Craig!

-Beau

Fathom
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
What is the START guide? And is there a list or book of things we're supposed to memorize before we get to RTC? I think I saw something a while back on a website but my recruiter hasn't given me anything since I depped and we've only had one dep meeting so far and we just at around waiting 2 1/2 hours for a chief that never showed up???

Beau.B
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Yep the Start guide is a book that you should've gotten at MEPS or your recruiter. It has a bunch of information in it that you need to memorize and have your recruiter sign off on. You can get a PDF version of it here:

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/documents/start_guide.pdf

Hope that helps!

-Beau

Nukette
08-16-2011, 07:40 AM
If you have a smartphone there's also a mobile version available that has the most important information condensed. It can be viewed at:

http://www.iislc.com/dep

You should get an actual booklet from your recruiter, or at least a copy of one. I'd ask him about it, it's some important and interesting stuff!

Fathom
08-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Awesome, thanks for the links guys!

buick0067
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
IF you are going to RTC as an E-2 from college credit, will passing the PQS advance you to E-3?

Nuke Guy
05-08-2012, 08:52 AM
It should. Just remember that you need to pass your initial PFA as well to get that advancement!

Shando11
05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
It should. Just remember that you need to pass your initial PFA as well to get that advancement!

It was my understanding from my recruiters that the test only could advance you from E-1 to E-2 but I may be wrong about that. That is probably a question for Craig or your Recruiter.

YesItsJustMe
05-08-2012, 11:03 AM
It was my understanding from my recruiters that the test only could advance you from E-1 to E-2 but I may be wrong about that. That is probably a question for Craig or your Recruiter.

Shando11 is right, you will not get E-3 from the PQS, beyond E-2 it is up to the RDCs who they're going to promote

prop827
05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Also, the PQS is not a recruiters test, you have to pass a PQS test on your first few days of boot camp AND your initial PFA to get E2 from PQS in boot camp (but if your recruiter doesn't sign off on the PQS before you go you also can't get it, this may be what you're referring to). That's as far as I know anyways.