PDA

View Full Version : Topic's to talk about BEFORE they ship off to bootcamp....

Craig
01-23-2011, 12:38 PM
There are a few things that people should really talk about prior to their loved one's leaving for bootcamp. Please add on any I missed.....

What to do if there is an emergency or death in the family while they are gone to bootcamp?
Do they want to be told via American Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.d8aaecf214c576bf971e4cfe43181aa0/?vgnextoid=6fe51a53f1c37110VgnVCM1000003481a10aRCR D&vgnextfmt=default)?
Do they want to be told via letter?
Do they want to wait until PIR?
(Make sure you always have your loved ones SS#, and command. That is how the American Red Cross contacts the sailor (keep these things handy for the whole time your loved one is in the Navy).

The odds of them coming home for a death in the family is pretty slim, so if you tell them during training is it really going to change anything? Yes it might, it might make them so depressed they can't finish bootcamp and get seperated (just my 2 cents). The person has already passed away, there is no bringing them back. So just wait until PIR to tell them. Let them keep focused.

Who will handle any bills that they may have? (Whoever it is will need a POA from the bank to get into the account, if not on the account). Bear in mind the first check will not be very large. If married, the BAH will take several pay cycles to kick in. It would be prudent to set aside money before they leave to cover needs and emergencies. I wouldn't count on pay from boot camp for expenses such as rent or food for the family. Sure, the second and third paychecks may be okay, but if the recruit sets up a new account through one of the credit unions, no one else is going to be able to access that easily until they get added on the account. That doesn't happen from boot camp. With limited communication, a spouse could well be hurting for cash by the time those eight weeks are up.

If they are under your medical insurance, will you keep them under it until after PIR? (keep in mind not everyone makes it though bootcamp)

Whatever is in their contract is what they get. Unless they are found not to have qualified for the job they signed up for, then they could be switched to something else or even go undesignated.

Who will they call when they get a chance to call? (this one is good to know if parents are divorced, or if the person is married).

Who will "The Box" go to?

Who will be on the list for PIR, only allowed 4 people (kids 12 and under don't count). It is up to the recruit to put the names on the list, not the family. (This is really good to talk about if you have a large family or if the family is divorced).

Don't spend a bunch of money getting things you think they will need for bootcamp, the list for what to take to bootcamp (http://www.bootcamp.navy.mil/what_to_bring.asp) is really small. Save that money for the trip to PIR (if you can go).

sweetmtn
01-23-2011, 01:14 PM
That sounds really good to me Craig...all the basics seem to be covered..only thing I might add if things havent changed..is yes, SOMETIMES more than 4 family members can come to the PIR...but seating MAY NOT be available to them!
Also know where, if possible, A school will be, dont expect to be able to give them their cell phone and/or laptop after PIR..it CANNOT be taken back on that side of the base...better to ship it after!