PDA

View Full Version : Well Here's What I'm Taking With Me...

SR.AO
08-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Wallet
Inside the wallet I'll have my Debit Card, a Couple pictures of family, Calling card, ID, social security card, $25.00 Cash, oh and stamps...(about 10 of them)

Wives Birth Certificate (COPY)
Daughters Birth Certificate (COPY)
My Birth Certificate (ORIGINAL)
Wives Social Security Card (COPY)
Daughters Social Security Card (COPY)
My Social Security Card (ORIGINAL)
Marriage License (ORIGINAL)

Small Bible (Probably with more pictures taped inside :) )

Small Address Book

Wedding Ring

2 Blank Voided Checks

Copy of my Wife's ID

My Contract

MP3 Player for the plane
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told to bring NO hygiene items.
I'm not taking my cell phone.
I plan on writing a letter on the plane and keeping it in my pants, so hopefully my Wife will get it in "the box." I pray they wont find it and throw it away.

When do we get to go to the NEX and buy more stamps, etc.?

Is there anything else I'm forgetting??? PLEASE let me know :) Thanks!

Craig
08-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Frankly, you're missing the most important document of all. A copy of you passing the test in DEP to advance to E2. Guaranteed, if you don't have it in your record, you will not be advanced....

You need to ask for a copy of it.....
Let me see if I can find some supporting documents....

SR.AO
08-21-2009, 10:25 PM
But other than that, I'm not missing out on anything else?

Craig
08-21-2009, 10:32 PM
But other than that, I'm not missing out on anything else?

Frankly, what's more important than that?

Completion of DEP Guide Personal Qualification Standards (PQS) and Initial Fitness Assessment (IFA)

If you successfully complete the DEP GUIDE PQS, pass a written test at Recruit Training Command (RTC), and pass PT-Baseline with a SAT-MED will be advanced to E2 effective from their Active Duty Service Date (ADSD). Completion of your DEP GUIDE PQS will be confirmed and documented by the Classifier at MEPS.

Craig
08-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Family Papers. Advise married new recruits to bring copies of their marriage certificate, birth certificates and certified copies of Social Security Cards of all dependents.. These documents will be scanned into RAPIDS at RTC and are necessary to register allotments. Recruits must also bring copies of court decrees pertaining to alimony and child support. Additionally, if either the wife or husband has been previously divorced, a certified copy of divorce documents is required

Craig
08-21-2009, 10:49 PM
From
COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1130.8H - VOLUME V , Chapter 2, Section 1, Page 4

020108. DEP PERSONNEL QUALIFICATION STANDARDS (DEP PQS). The DEP PQS is a self-paced program that should increase the DEPper’s familiarity with the Navy. There are two phases to the program: the training phase and the sign-off phase. During the training phase, DEPpers learn fundamental information about the Navy. During the sign off phase, the DEPper must demonstrate a satisfactory level of knowledge. DEP PQS is to be routed through the chain of command as soon as it has been completed and no later than 10 days prior to ship date for entry into the DEPper’s service record.

a. The Recruiter shall work with the DEPper to ensure they understand PQS topics and will sign off those line items that the DEPper demonstrated a satisfactory level of knowledge.

**Note: the word "Shall" means "Is required"

SR.AO
08-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Here's what happened....I got about 3/4 of my book signed off, then left the office and scheduled the rest for another day. (Not my choice) Then I came in again, and just got handed the Written Test, took it and passed. Then did the PFA, and passed. The Recruiter then printed off some papers stating I passed, she signed it, I signed it, then she said she had to fax them to the XO and CO for signoff. I asked for a copy and she said it's not valid and pointless to get a copy without the XO and CO's signatures on it, and not to worry it would go in my service record. She said they offer EVERY new recruit at GL to take the Advancement test, but only those with the paper in their service record can take it....thats where I'm at.

Oh, and what's a "certified" copy of a social security card? I just figured I could photo copy them....

Craig
08-21-2009, 11:11 PM
What the recuiter is doing is fine.... You just need to make sure you have in when they go through your record. You will not be able to take the test without it....

I would have taken the documents to Buckley Legal and would have had them certified. But, it's too late for that now. Now, I would just bring them with you...

SR.AO
08-21-2009, 11:41 PM
So no hygiene items correct? Just everything I listed? I didnt forget anything?

sweetmtn
08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
I would bring a toothbrush and just travel size deodorant and such..they only cost about $0.50 each..snag the hotel soap if you want, mostly it will come home in the box. Remember to put them in a zip lock baggie!

SR.AO
08-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Ok so buy travel sized shampoo, toothpaste, and deodorant? I'll do that :) And I guess I'll just bring along my own toothbrush :)

Craig
08-22-2009, 12:18 AM
I would bring a toothbrush and just travel size deodorant and such..they only cost about $0.50 each..snag the hotel soap if you want, mostly it will come home in the box. Remember to put them in a zip lock baggie!

Sue,
I believe they will make him throw it away... They don't want these kids to have this stuff since they could hide drugs in them....

But, like you said, the worst case is he ships them back....

sweetmtn
08-22-2009, 12:21 AM
I know it was a few years ago...but Justin was allowed to keep his!

KYmom
08-22-2009, 04:54 AM
Several people have taken their cell phones with them... Great for calling between flights and when you land - just in case you don't get that I am here call from GL... You can send it home in the box.

Your wife can mail you more stamps and phone cards about mid way through if needed or if you see you are getting low on them. Some cards have a phone # on the back where she can copy and call later to add minutes to the card you have.

Have her send you a pre stamped manila envelope about mid way through so you can send letters and postcards that you have received back home to save.

butterbean
08-22-2009, 06:46 PM
What I don't get (sorry for thread jacking chris! lol) is why we need to bring our original birth certs, and ssc when we brought them to MEPs the first time around. Why the heck would we need to bring all of it again to MEPs when we ship out? Idk, I haven't figured this one out. Especially being it's a pain in the living a-hole to get my birth cert (I was born outta country) from Washington, it took close to six months to get it the first time around! lol